SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-07-18, 12:19 PM   #21
glang

Default Re: Cooling fan

this is useful: roughly for a 100ºc temperature increase water expands 4% by volume. So if you know your cooling system capacity for example 5L and heat it by 100º the amount pushed out will be approximately 0.2L which is something less than a small bottle of beer. You then need to know the dimensions of your expansion bottle (either type of system) to calculate how much the level will go up by to accommodate that volume....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-18, 12:37 PM   #22
glang

well theyre normally called heat exchangers or cores rather than rads as they arent intended for cooling the engine (you can turn them off).
That diagram is a bit misleading as it seems to be a hybrid of both types. The expansion tank must have a pressure cap otherwise this system cant pressurise on heating (essential to raise the boiling point of the coolant) so why have what appears to be another pressure cap on the radiator? It will never operate because the pressure on both sides of it (radiator and overflow) are the same so I believe it should be just a plug. This would then make this system the non SV type where you fill it from the expansion tank which must be located at the highest point.
Old 23-07-18, 01:16 PM   #23
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
So your cars don't have a Heating radiator behind the Bulkhead?
That is a heat exchanger and is only in circuit when you want heat in the car, otherwise it has no cooling function for engine.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-18, 08:13 AM   #24
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
this is useful: roughly for a 100ºc temperature increase water expands 4% by volume. So if you know your cooling system capacity for example 5L and heat it by 100º the amount pushed out will be approximately 0.2L which is something less than a small bottle of beer. You then need to know the dimensions of your expansion bottle (either type of system) to calculate how much the level will go up by to accommodate that volume....

Excellent, if I run low on coolant I can top up with beer, great to know.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-18, 08:34 AM   #25
embee
Mega Poster

There are 2 basic system schematics used in cars, usually referred to as "hot bottle" and "cold bottle". In summary …………

I would say the majority of cars use a cold bottle, which is the same as most bikes I've come across, like the SV. The mechanism is as has been described, the engine/rad circuit runs full, with a valved cap to allow pressurised hot coolant to expand into the cold bottle and be drawn back into the engine/rad circuit when it cools and contracts, keeping the circuit full.

The hot bottle system, commonly used by VW for example, runs the expansion tank in the pressurised circuit and relies on a compressible air volume to accommodate the expansion. The cap on the rad is usually simply a plug, as described, and the small hose going from there to the bottle is a continuous de-gassing system to keep the rad full of coolant.
Old 24-07-18, 09:35 AM   #26
glang

Good description embee.
I prefer the 'hot bottle' system as its completely closed and I think more reliable. However it requires the bottle to be at the highest point in the circuit while a 'cold bottle' has to be located below the level of the rad cap so on a bike its probably this that decides which design is used........
Old 24-07-18, 10:10 AM   #27
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Good description embee.
I prefer the 'hot bottle' system as its completely closed and I think more reliable. However it requires the bottle to be at the highest point in the circuit while a 'cold bottle' has to be located below the level of the rad cap so on a bike its probably this that decides which design is used........
Every Honda car I have ever owned has used 'cold bottle' - IMHO the hot bottle is just another pressurised thing to fail. Anyway if VW use a system its is bound to be dodgy, my brother after a string of Jap cars bought a Skoda, so many problems it was back at dealer within 3 months and he now has a Suzuki Grand Vitara which he is well chuffed with ( I did warn him about German engineering vs Jap engineering). My other bro is seriously considering setting fire to his Golf............ (and getting a Civic with the insurance).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-18, 11:09 AM   #28
glang

ebay cars under 'honda coolant tank' has about 50% of each type so the selection of which to use seems pretty even. Its true the 'hot bottle' uses more hoses but perhaps is more accessible for checking the coolant level. Also if there is a small leak somewhere in the system thats not visible you can detect it more easily with a hot bottle as its level drops while in a cold bottle the level can drop in the rad and you dont know until looking inside it......