SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

View Poll Results: How should I service my bike?
Send it to Suzuki and hand over a small fortune 5 62.50%
Do it yourself - its really easy and I will help you 0 0%
Do it yourself - but I cant be bothered to help you 1 12.50%
Bah - the ASM option 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-12-07, 02:10 PM   #11
ASM-Forever

Default Re: 1st Proper Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_1871 View Post
Ditto..

Jon, if your gonna sell it on soon then a dealer stamp in the book will help you get what you want for it. When it's out of warranty is when I would think about servicing myself.
Exactly what i would have said.
Old 18-12-07, 04:01 PM   #12
Warthog

Good lad, seeing as it's a newish bike, and you are looking to sell it soon (I presume ), then the dealer stamp is what you want.
Old 19-12-07, 10:27 AM   #13
Stig

I'd have been one of those that said do it yourself. However, knowing that you are going to sell it soon, it is still in warranty and your dumb. Getting a proper garage to get it serviced sounds like a good bet to me.

I would still look at cheaper garage who will put the stamp in the book. For warranty purposes it has to be a competent person that completes the servicing. The discrepancy over this statement is who is classed as a competent person. A fully qualified motorcycle mechanic is quite a safe bet.

There is a cheap place on the A4 into Newbury.

Ancient's Services
David Kimber
01189 713055
07721 656 653

I am not recommending him as I have never actually used him. Just giving you options. Then there is Pro-Bike in Newbury who are a Suzuki dealer. But they are far from cheap.
Old 19-12-07, 12:18 PM   #14
SVeeedy Gonzales

Buy a Haynes manual and some oil, then take your time over it during the Xmas hols. No Suzuki dealer will spend the time and effort on it that you will. OK you may have a bit of a learning curve but it's not hard if you have the manual. That service is just a few checks and an oil change. Nothing needing doing when I checked save for the oil. That's expensive oil.

And yes, even your Suzi dealer will damage the bike, leave things undone, etc. so doing it yourself is the only way to be sure.

I find I adjust things as I go along so clutch, throttle, brakes etc. are always good and don't just get left until the service. Got the 11000 mile one over Xmas - couple of visual checks, oil and filter, few hours here and there, for about £10 of oil and filter.
Old 19-12-07, 02:28 PM   #15
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Now I really dont know what to do. £100 sounds like a lot of cash for a basic service. Changing the oil and filter is simple enough (if I can work out how to remove the lower fairing) and how hard can it be to get to the air filter?

I really want to get more hands on with the bike but I lack the experience. One of the tasks that I really need to be shown (Ape - your advice at the next meet would be welcome) is how to work out if the chain is too loose. I do check my chain regularly, but am not quite sure what I am looking for...what is too much play? I cant believe that you guys get your rulars out each time you look at the chain so there must be a knack to this.

Oh well, I think that I may just send it to the dealer this time as I am about to sell it and then work on the new bike as I am planning on keeping it for a good long time.

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-07, 02:47 PM   #16
StreetHawk

Wish I had looked after my chain.. It ran dry in London on sunday, had to use engine oil on it as it's all I could lay my hands on! Now it's all over the back wheel , swingarm etc..

I may have to come along to the next meet if Ape is gonna give chaintenance lessons
Old 19-12-07, 02:50 PM   #17
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
Now I really dont know what to do. £100 sounds like a lot of cash for a basic service. Changing the oil and filter is simple enough (if I can work out how to remove the lower fairing) and how hard can it be to get to the air filter?
In theory, it's a doddle once you have the tank off.

However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
I really want to get more hands on with the bike but I lack the experience. One of the tasks that I really need to be shown (Ape - your advice at the next meet would be welcome) is how to work out if the chain is too loose. I do check my chain regularly, but am not quite sure what I am looking for...what is too much play? I cant believe that you guys get your rulars out each time you look at the chain so there must be a knack to this.
...if you can't even check your chain, £100 sounds like a bargain to have somebody else Not Totally Screw your bike.

(Honesty box: When I was 16, I hadn't got a clue either - it got to the point with my moped where the chain jumped off the sprocket before I bothered to learn how to adjust it.)

Pop the bike up on a paddock stand (if possible - I'd really recommend a Micron stand), give the chain a prod until you find the tightest point, and push the slack bit (the lower run) upwards. If it moves more than about an inch, it could probably do with being tightened up a bit. Check the owner's manual or get a Haynes Book of Lies for the manufacturer's tolerance.

You need some slack in the chain because (unless your swingarm pivot and front sprocket are concentrically aligned) the chain run will lengthen slightly when the suspension's under compression, but too much can be a Bad Thing.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-07, 03:19 PM   #18
ASM-Forever

Quote:

I may have to come along to the next meet if Ape is gonna give chaintenance lessons
We all know that won't happen.
Old 19-12-07, 03:43 PM   #19
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales View Post
That service is just a few checks and an oil change. Nothing needing doing when I checked save for the oil. That's expensive oil.
It's just a check unless those checks find something wrong.
Old 19-12-07, 03:45 PM   #20
Stig

Quote:
Wish I had looked after my chain.. It ran dry in London on sunday, had to use engine oil on it as it's all I could lay my hands on! Now it's all over the back wheel , swingarm etc..

It's called a scottoiler. I'm a lazy B'st*rd me.