SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 11-08-09, 12:32 PM   #21
Owenski

Default Re: 1. Knee down...

were you on the roundabout already then and he just pulled out/into you?

Doesnt matter about you been in the wrong lane then surely, if you were on the RO then its your Right of Way. He pulled out on you, he didnt know you were in the wrong lane he just didnt see you. Therefore he caused the accident or does it not work that way?
Old 11-08-09, 12:52 PM   #22
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustATrick View Post
I'm disappointed - I was sure a man of your experience would have loads of ideas
Loud cans aren't my department.

Eels and Japanese women, otoh...
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 01:16 PM   #23
JustATrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsmatt7 View Post
were you on the roundabout already then and he just pulled out/into you?
No. As I approached he was on the roundabout in the outside lane (it's a two lane roundabout; the entry is two lane, the exit is two lane). I matched my speed to join in the gap behind him. I joined from the right hand lane, into the inside lane of the roundabout. He was positioned to go for the first lane of the next exit. I was headed for the second lane of the same exit. He decided it wasn't his exit and turned across my lane to continue around the roundabout.

As I said, it's his responsibility to check it is safe to change lanes: it was perfectly legitimate for there to be a vehicle in my lane heading for my exit. The problem is that I got into that position through not following the rules: he could argue that he didn't expect me to be there.
Old 11-08-09, 01:18 PM   #24
Owenski

ah rite i see, always makes me nervious when there is a car in that position and im taking the right lane of a 2 lane exit.

did he maintain a right hand indicator, and did you indicate left to show your intention to leave the RO?
Old 11-08-09, 01:22 PM   #25
ogden
Mega Poster

I did something very similar in a car ten years or so ago.

Claim was settled 50/50.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 01:32 PM   #26
JustATrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsmatt7 View Post
did he maintain a right hand indicator, and did you indicate left to show your intention to leave the RO?
I was indicating left, but I didn't see him indicating at all. (That's not to say he wasn't, but I like to think I pay enough attention to notice when people do.) I wasn't worried about him in the slightest given his positioning: he didn't activate my spidey sense. I'll be far more wary about two lane exits in the future.
Old 16-08-09, 02:28 PM   #27
JustATrick

My insurers have written the bike off. Shopping time. I'm looking longingly at the first batch (2002-ish) of 636 ZX-6Rs... so I'll see if I can sort out a test ride this week.
Old 16-08-09, 09:53 PM   #28
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
He was positioned to go for the first lane of the next exit. I was headed for the second lane of the same exit. He decided it wasn't his exit and turned across my lane to continue around the roundabout.

As I said, it's his responsibility to check it is safe to change lanes: it was perfectly legitimate for there to be a vehicle in my lane heading for my exit. The problem is that I got into that position through not following the rules: he could argue that he didn't expect me to be there.
How's the insurance going? Because I would quite often drive, ride or ride my bicycle in the left lane of a roundabout and keep going round and round until I found my exit without thinking I was doing anything wrong

Oh and get yourself a 600 Ninja, they use half as much fuel

Last edited by Stu; 16-08-09 at 09:54 PM.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-09, 10:16 PM   #29
JustATrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
How's the insurance going?
Unsurprisingly, the other party has not admitted liability so there's a dispute to resolve.

Quote:
Because I would quite often drive, ride or ride my bicycle in the left lane of a roundabout and keep going round and round until I found my exit without thinking I was doing anything wrong
...and as long as you've made appropriate observations that you're not driving, riding or pedalling into another vehicle as you cross any multi-lane exits then I'd agree - not ideal, but not doing anything wrong

Quote:
Oh and get yourself a 600 Ninja, they use half as much fuel
Really? There's a big difference in fuel consumption between the 600 and the 636?
Old 16-08-09, 11:43 PM   #30
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:

Really? There's a big difference in fuel consumption between the 600 and the 636?
Sid Squid, Terriyakimonkey and me can easily get at least 55-60mpg* on our G1s, Jambo on his later J (but still not a 636) gets less, and the 636s get less still.
Depends if it's important to you, some people couldn't be happier with 22mpg + oil

*including 100mph or cross London.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote