SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Cyclists 2 abreast on busy country roads (see post)?
Absolutely fine. 14 56.00%
Inconsiderate. 11 44.00%
keth d . Everyone dies. 0 0%
Keith double D I cocked up the poll 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-20, 05:55 AM   #41
daktulos

Default Re: Cyclists riding 2 abreast on busy country roads

Wow! Where did this thread come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
If double cyclists are ok, then so is a group of people walking side by side down a pavement-less country road.
Speaking as someone who has marshalled road-races without closed roads, thi can happen. Don't forget, pedestrians are road-users, too. I've also had to come to a near stop on a dual-carriageway as a pedestrian was crossing the exit and didn't rush.

Motor vehicles don't have priority, in the UK at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
It's legal to over take non-powered vehicles on a solid white line.
Only if it's going slower than 10mph (which is very rare) and it's not hatched.

I had a 30 mile trip a couple of weeks ago, and hooted two drivers who overtook cycles while I was coming the other way. Maybe they thought I'd give way for them, or maybe they were going to pass the cycle too close, but they may not have seen me, too. They were both passing single cycles.

My opinion is that I'd rather overtake bunched up cycles than a long row of them, particularly if they're spaced out enough (but not enough to pass each individually). It's almost never possible to safely pass a cycle without crossing into the incoming lane, so two abreast makes no practical difference ....

... unless it's a risky overtake and you want a bit of room to squeeze into if there's oncoming traffic.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 06:52 AM   #42
rowdy

It's when you come across a bunch of half a dozen cyclists that think they are partaking in the Tour de France and believe it is only they that have any right to be on the road that pees me off.
My son used to work at a country pub and I used to take him to work. One Sunday morning I came across said bunch of tw*ts.
Three miles I had to sit behind these burks because not one of them, even when slowing down to near walking pace up hills, had the decency to allow traffic by. Pretty sure the Highway Code says slow moving traffic should pull over to let other road uses pass, while not practical for bicyclists to do so on moderately busy roads, taking up the whole carriageway for three miles with no regard to others is in my opinion selfish and doesn't help their cause.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 08:33 AM   #43
Craig380
Mega Poster

As an ex-cyclist myself, I look at it this way: there are considerate cyclists and there are @rseholes, just as there are considerate bikers, and @rseholes that give bikers a bad name.

And for a bit of perspective, this happened last night 400 yards from where a mate of mine lives: https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/new...t-car-wycombe/
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 08:47 AM   #44
shiftin_gear98

^ That's pretty sad.
It'd be interesting to see who was to blame in the above incident.
Thoughts to the families.

Gut feeling - Numpty in the Golf.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 02-06-20 at 08:49 AM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 09:41 AM   #45
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
As an ex-cyclist myself, I look at it this way: there are considerate cyclists and there are @rseholes, just as there are considerate bikers, and @rseholes that give bikers a bad name.
That's sort of what I'm trying to determine from this thread. I thought it was a minority of @rseholes who rode two up round busy bends, looking at the poll it's a bit under half of people who disagree (100% of cyclists?) ...at that ratio there must be something in it.
Every angle I look at it it looks a daft thing to do, the highway code even advises not to do it . I still wouldn't personally put myself in harms way to do it, however through discussion we have gone from 'we do it because it's our right' to 'we do it because it's safer', which is definitely preferable I just find it hard to understand, though I've not ridden on the road for over 10 years. On safety; I can only see the result of doing it a way of limiting the number of minor brushes and close overtakes but increasing the chance of a mega wipeout.

Quote:
And for a bit of perspective, this happened last night 400 yards from where a mate of mine lives: https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/new...t-car-wycombe/
That's sad, less of this please.
It's definitely been more noticeable since covid, I'm guessing more bikes out despite there being less traffic ,if the trend continues or even just if the amount of trafic increases ,which it will, I think the roads need redesigning to include cycle lanes (although that's possibly another controversial opinion). I cycle when I'm in European cities with cycles lanes and it's great, I would not do it on the UK roads.
Old 02-06-20, 02:00 PM   #46
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Every angle I look at it it looks a daft thing to do, the highway code even advises not to do it . I still wouldn't personally put myself in harms way to do it, however through discussion we have gone from 'we do it because it's our right' to 'we do it because it's safer', which is definitely preferable I just find it hard to understand, though I've not ridden on the road for over 10 years. On safety; I can only see the result of doing it a way of limiting the number of minor brushes and close overtakes but increasing the chance of a mega wipeout.
I've not read a cycle on the road for years, and never ridden two-abreast, but I have friends in clubs who do (they have to do induction rides to learn how to do it) and I've seen some horrendous overtakes.

If you're cycling by yourself, particularly near to the kerb, it's an invitation for a close pass. Riding to the right of the lane is safer as cars will need to take account of oncoming traffic when overtaking (i.e. consider their own safety). It's exactly the same reason we don't ride a motorcycle in the gutter.

Once you're over to the centre of the road, two-abreast makes sense as it means the length of the overtake is shorter, you're more visible, and less likely to be intimidated. There are places when it's not appropriate, but then they're the same places where cars shouldn't be attempting an overtake anyway.

Everyone just needs to relax more and be kinder to each other.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 02:13 PM   #47
Chris_SVS

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/new...qdRx1_Md_96feY
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 02:13 PM   #48
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
Speaking as someone who has marshalled road-races without closed roads, thi can happen. Don't forget, pedestrians are road-users, too. I've also had to come to a near stop on a dual-carriageway as a pedestrian was crossing the exit and didn't rush.

Motor vehicles don't have priority, in the UK at least.
Yeah that is different if it is an organised thing with warning signs and people looking out.

I was meaning more just a group of randoms walking down a road taking up the whole lane. Not crossing over the road, walking along it. Motor vehicles 100% take priority over pedestrians in that hypothetical.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 03:29 PM   #49
maviczap
Mega Poster

In a big group, its easier & safer for cars to pass riders who are riding two abreast, rather than the whole lot who've gone single file.

A small group, then politeness decrees single file
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 03:39 PM   #50
Bibio
Mega Poster

do most bikers ride CHiPs style... ermm no so why do cyclists. why cant cyclists leave a car gap between each other.. i'll tell you why, so you can gab like old women while pleasuring themselves with those pointy saddles.

i think we should have a national purge day for lycra clad cyclists.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote