SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-08-21, 02:03 PM   #1
Patricko2

Default Quiet exhaust

I prefer a quiet exhaust. I know I'm in a minority.
My SV650 has a Black Widow can which is incredibly loud. I've just got a baffle for it which is definitely better, but still noisy.
Has anyone tried putting fibreglass wadding/packing around the baffle? Does it affect performance, MPG etc.?
Old 10-08-21, 02:26 PM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quiet exhaust

I don't think wadding will affect the performance as long as it's not restricting the flow of gases. Wrap it around the baffle and secure it with some wire I think.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-21, 03:06 PM   #3
glang

I would have thought it already has wadding otherwise theres not much point having a can! However the wadding deteriorates over time and can be replaced to improve ths sound absorption. Its available on ebay in different sizes or in a form that, on heating, expands to fill the space available. Whether you use too much (less effective silencing) or none at all the gases flow straight through so it wont affect engine performance.
The biggest change in performance is likely to happen when going from a standard type exhaust, which has more back pressure due to internal baffling, to a straight through....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 04:11 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

if you want it quiet then buy a standard exhaust from ebay or i'll bet someone on here will have one for sale/free/swap and more than likely local to pick it up.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 04:44 PM   #5
Airsafari87

What length Black Widow can do have on?

I have recently fitted a black widow full system (cheap bike, cheap exhaust) with a 400mm can to my Gladius hack and it is pretty quiet with the baffle out. I
Airsafari87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 08:30 PM   #6
Patricko2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsafari87 View Post
What length Black Widow can do have on?

I have recently fitted a black widow full system (cheap bike, cheap exhaust) with a 400mm can to my Gladius hack and it is pretty quiet with the baffle out. I
It's the 400mm 400SS can. Perhaps I have sensitive ears...
Old 10-08-21, 09:09 PM   #7
redtrummy

Hi Glang my Triumph super cub has lost all its internal baffles (rotted away) The silencer is a one off and unique to the Super Cub so replacement not easily available.

There is a step at the first joint from each end so you cannot see through the exhust. I am intrigued by the possibility of pushing wadding in to the main body bit by bit, and then letting the heat from the engine form the wadding onto the outside of silencer.
Is this something you have had experience working with? Any words of wisdom much appreciated
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 09:48 PM   #8
glang

Sorry no expert on silencers and Ive never used that expanding wadding. However I know it says to fix it in place on the internal tube of a straight through silencer and then it will expand to fill the void if the can is, for example, oval. In your case it would just be loose so I think its unlikely to be successful...
Old 11-08-21, 05:39 PM   #9
redtrummy

Thanks for the reply....back to the drawing board!
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 06:02 PM   #10
glang

The only suggestion I can come up with is to insert sections of tight fitting steel tubing of almost the length of the silencer into both inlet and outlet to at least increase the gas travel distance inside the can.
Even so without an absorber I dont think it will make a lot of difference - I suppose theres no chance of wrapping the outside of the can with fibreglass tape and then rivetting thin stainless sheet over it?