SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-08-21, 10:22 PM   #5401
chris8886
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Played cricket today for Cross Arrows and scored a season high 72 not out, but unfortunately in a losing cause. Still a thoroughly enjoyable day though
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-21, 10:02 AM   #5402
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
Played cricket today for Cross Arrows and scored a season high 72 not out, but unfortunately in a losing cause. Still a thoroughly enjoyable day though

That score is much more impressive than the present crop of England opening batsmen, makes me cringe to watch them scoring ducks after playing stupid shots... I have stopped watching England vs India test. Do not know why Dom Sibley even selected any more.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-21, 01:08 PM   #5403
DJ123
Mega Poster

A fresh, clean MOT on the Bike today. Nearly managed 10K miles in the last 12 months.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-21, 03:47 PM   #5404
shiftin_gear98

Just told my brother in law that there's not much more of this carp that I can put up with and that I plan to leave.
Feels better to be off my chest.
Old 16-08-21, 08:51 PM   #5405
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
That score is much more impressive than the present crop of England opening batsmen, makes me cringe to watch them scoring ducks after playing stupid shots... I have stopped watching England vs India test. Do not know why Dom Sibley even selected any more.

On paper it looks it, yes. However in practical terms I'm hopeless by comparison. The speed of bowling by comparison just to the professional county circuit to the amateur game is night and day, let alone the international game!

I agree that Sibley needs some time back in county cricket and work on his technique, but then it got him loads of runs there and worked for a time in international cricket as well, so why change it....? It's just a case of most of the batsmen are horribly out of form other than the always sublime Joe Root.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-21, 08:12 AM   #5406
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Just told my brother in law that there's not much more of this carp that I can put up with and that I plan to leave.
Feels better to be off my chest.
Better out than in

Got a planned route out yet?
Old 17-08-21, 08:24 AM   #5407
shiftin_gear98

It's a work in progress, the upside of working for family I suppose. There are a few issues here at work, and I have decided it's best for all of us if I walk away - my sister in law is doing my nut in.
So I have told him I plan to leave, but that I don't have the details sorted yet. I think he was thankful of the solution to the issues here.
So is totally happy with me needing time to get it sorted, I even said that if the course was part time I'd be happy to still work here the other days until it suited us both to leave.
Again he was happy with this too. I think he has realised he'll be a little screwed if I just walk out - I do everything in the office.

So the gate has been opened, I just need to figure out which path to go.
But it feels nice to have done it, if a little stressful too.

I imagine I will pick the shorter more expensive route, as I am unsure how much I will learn two days a week stuck in a classroom with 17 year olds.
Hopefully everyone on the shorter courses will be there for the same reason, other than being forced to be there.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 17-08-21 at 08:27 AM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-21, 12:08 PM   #5408
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Yes, both opening batsmen out for a duck. Where is Boycott nowadays, couldn't he at least give them some coaching on how to stay in ?!
It was the last day when they blew it, even Michael Vaughan couldn't understand the field setting or bowling strategy by England !
Why do they bowl so many short length balls and not at the wickets.
I have a new strategy for England - set an orthodox field and bowl good length balls at the wickets. If the batsman misses the ball they are bowled, or if it hits their pads they are out lbw. If they mistime the shot they might be caught out .
Any England batsman playing a reverse sweep shot should risk being dropped for the next match.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-21, 12:12 PM   #5409
svenrico

Quote:
It's a work in progress, the upside of working for family I suppose. There are a few issues here at work, and I have decided it's best for all of us if I walk away - my sister in law is doing my nut in.
So I have told him I plan to leave, but that I don't have the details sorted yet. I think he was thankful of the solution to the issues here.
So is totally happy with me needing time to get it sorted, I even said that if the course was part time I'd be happy to still work here the other days until it suited us both to leave.
Again he was happy with this too. I think he has realised he'll be a little screwed if I just walk out - I do everything in the office.

I imagine I will pick the shorter more expensive route, as I am unsure how much I will learn two days a week stuck in a classroom with 17 year olds.
Hopefully everyone on the shorter courses will be there for the same reason, other than being forced to be there.
Anything involving money and family is stressful. My father's idea years ago with the family bakery business was to just blow it all and go bankrupt !!!
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-21, 08:26 PM   #5410
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:

That's fair, at least they've recognised a change done amicably will be positive for all -Good luck! Keep us updated, I'm thinking of doing similar - years in an office has made me sick of the miserable politics, screwed my eyes, screwed my back (which may get more screwed doing a more hands on job).

If you're looking at electricianing - research the course very carefully, from what I've read some of the short express courses can be a waste of time and I think most need accompaniment with onsite experience that can be hard to find pre-qual