SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-06-08, 06:32 AM   #1
Troy

Question Very short trip to Berlin coming up, got any suggestions of what to check out?

Hey all,

My employer is shipping me off to India for a few weeks to train some of our contractors there, and I managed to finagle the layover in Berlin from a few hours into three days on their dime! Woo hooo!

3 days is nowhere near enough time to really experience any big place, but I can at least get a start... Anyone here in the SV community been to Berlin and have some suggestions?

I got some suggestions from this board years ago when I was headed to London, and that worked well, so I'm trusting you all again. Well... Not all. Not Gid. Definitely not him! I considered tracking him down and gnawing his arm off to whack him with it after I clicked that link in his "wind people up" thread.

-Troy
Old 22-06-08, 08:10 AM   #2
andywilson460

Default Re: Very short trip to Berlin coming up, got any suggestions of what to check out?

When I went I did the traditional look at the Brandenburg Gate, See the wall, take a canal cruise etc..

The best thing was a meal at the top of the TV Tower in it's revolving restaurant. Gave a great view of Berlin - especially on a clear night
Old 22-06-08, 08:59 AM   #3
Manguish

Default Re: Very short trip to Berlin coming up, got any suggestions of what to check out?

I was there last week.

The canal cruise is a must.

As for the rest, brandenberg, check point charlie etc.

Lovely city.
Old 22-06-08, 11:06 AM   #4
wheelnut

When I was there last the Reichstag was wrapped in aluminium foil while it was being refurbished. It was beautiful at night.

Buy a Berlin Welcome Card for the S Bahn, U Bahn, (subway) which gives you 72 hours travel for 25 Euros.

Have a look at this for any ideas

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...in-TG-C-1.html
Old 22-06-08, 07:54 PM   #5
dissuade

I go to Berlin all the time as some of my family are there. I would say...

Do all the touristy stuff.

Also visit
Tacheles on Oranienburger Strasse - it's a house full of artists' studios and lots of cool stuff

Stasi museum on Nauenstrasse - not big but quite interesting if you have extra time.

Tempelhof airport - will be closed in the not too distant future. It's got absolutely brilliant architecture and is very grand. This is what Berlin would have looked like all over had Adolf been around for much longer.

Prenzl Berg (Prenzauer Berg) - lots of bars and kookie places to hang out. Some neat Beergardens

In the summer they often dump a load of sand next to the Dome in the centre and open a bar called Strandbar (beach bar) with deckchairs and baskets. It's really neat. Worth checking out.

I'll post more if I think of anything else worth doing.
Old 22-06-08, 09:19 PM   #6
busasean

Ahem,....... the red light district - its an eye opener! - its legal in germany and quite bizare
Old 22-06-08, 10:02 PM   #7
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Hey all,

My employer is shipping me off to India for a few weeks to train some of our contractors there, and I managed to finagle the layover in Berlin from a few hours into three days on their dime! Woo hooo!

3 days is nowhere near enough time to really experience any big place, but I can at least get a start... Anyone here in the SV community been to Berlin and have some suggestions?

I got some suggestions from this board years ago when I was headed to London, and that worked well, so I'm trusting you all again. Well... Not all. Not Gid. Definitely not him! I considered tracking him down and gnawing his arm off to whack him with it after I clicked that link in his "wind people up" thread.

-Troy
Mrs gid is half German and has close family living there,but after the above I m keeping schtum