SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-04-08, 08:33 PM   #1
thor

Default Linux Q: Upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04

So I have 7.something - and no cds to burn the iso.

Fine, cos I found something called unetbootin. Should allow me to install from a separate partition or something. Only, when I try to run it, nothing happens. Ah, executable permissions. They look likely. It runs, I put all the details in etc, then asks to reboot. Fine, I click ok. NOTHING...

Reboot myself. Nothing...

Grrr.

I go back to the website. No FAQ or help, just a link to a thread on a forum. I try to search that, but you can only search the entire forum, not just the thread. I try to post a message. I need to create a login. What? A login? IT DOESN'T WORK! Why do I need to make a freaking login? The thread is just full of "Its so Great!" type fawning prat useless posts. Like **** am I going to wade through 35 pages of that turd.

So I try to search google for something maybe someone has had a similar problem. all I get are hundreds pages saying how great it is! About how its going to change the face of linux!

Seriously. This is why most people don't use linux. It's just full of gotcha after gotcha...

Stupid thing is ubuntu is great, and free! I'm sure this software works fab too, just not for me.
Old 28-04-08, 09:18 PM   #2
Sudoxe

Default Re: Linux Q: Upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04

edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change the deb line which ends in the old version for the new one.

then from the command line as root run
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

That should do it, well it does for debian which ubuntu is based.

Dan
Old 28-04-08, 09:34 PM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Wrong Dan

I did this myself today

Boot the system then go to Update Manager - you will then see at the top that it is reporting a new version is available.

Click on Upgrade and then leave it for an hour or so

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-08, 08:11 AM   #4
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Wrong Dan

I did this myself today

Boot the system then go to Update Manager - you will then see at the top that it is reporting a new version is available.

Click on Upgrade and then leave it for an hour or so
I have a different method I prefer, similar to Dan's method.

In a console, as a user with root equivalent permissions:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-update

Leave this to do it's magic, then as SoulKiss says, System > Administration > Update Manager. Click Check (this should come back with nothing to update, as that's what you just did in the console). You'll now get a message saying Ubuntu 8.04 is available, and simply hit Upgrade.

The reason for the console stuff is that Update Manager doesn't always tell you about all the updates that are possible (and has been known to miss required updates too).

Once that's done, just a sanity check really, again in a console, as a root equivalent user (I like sudo for this feature, but won't put it here). This is only needed for server installs really, but as I run services (httpd, smtpd etc etc) from ubuntu installs, it gets done by me:

aptitude install update-manager-core
do-release-upgrade

Follow the on-screen prompts.

Done.