SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-03-08, 01:25 PM   #1
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default PS3 Questions:

I may get a 40Gb PS3 this week, and maybe a game if the deal is good, but I'm more interested in it for blue (ray) movies. (plus standard upscaling DVD player cleverness to 1080p)
However, can anyone answer some of these questions:

Is the supplied controller wireless as standard?

Can you use any bluetooth peripheral, i.e the bluetooth thingy from a mobile phone?

I'll try and load linux so I can use firefox etc on it, will it accept standard USB mouse and keyboard? - Will I be able to get versions of skype to run on it?

Will it play all my divx / xvid stuff, and will it play divx from a USB memory stick - in fact does it recognise the memory sticks at all?

I believe the equivilant of xbox live is free and you can download plenty of stuff for free - like what?
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 03:50 PM   #2
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Default Re: PS3 Questions:

Waiting (quite a while) for Gran Turismo5 on PS3 before i buy one. Hopelessly addicted to those games!
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 04:02 PM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Have finally decided to get a PS3 myself - but I am waiting for the Dual-Shock 3 controllers to come out

Basically the Six-Axis with rumble

They are available for sale - but waiting until it comes bundles with one

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 04:39 PM   #4
SDMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
I may get a 40Gb PS3 this week, and maybe a game if the deal is good, but I'm more interested in it for blue (ray) movies. (plus standard upscaling DVD player cleverness to 1080p)
However, can anyone answer some of these questions:

Is the supplied controller wireless as standard? Yep, except when it's charging

Can you use any bluetooth peripheral, i.e the bluetooth thingy from a mobile phone? Not entirely sure

I'll try and load linux so I can use firefox etc on it, will it accept standard USB mouse and keyboard? - Will I be able to get versions of skype to run on it? Standard USB mouse and keyboard should work on it

Will it play all my divx / xvid stuff, and will it play divx from a USB memory stick - in fact does it recognise the memory sticks at all? The latest update allows divx playback...i think, haven't actually checked

I believe the equivilant of xbox live is free and you can download plenty of stuff for free - like what? Yes it is free , download full games (for a price), playable demo's, vid/film trailers, game trailers, game updates (levels, vehicles, bug fixes etc) plus there is 'Home' (I think it's called) coming out in the very near future which is all online based.
Been playing my PS3 quite alot over the last few weeks, as I'm off work with a broken leg. (Tis keeping me sane, as not much else I can do, lol)
hth
Old 03-03-08, 04:45 PM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
I'll try and load linux so I can use firefox etc on it, will it accept standard USB mouse and keyboard? - Will I be able to get versions of skype to run on it?
Linux on the PS3 is not for the faint hearted and as far a I know (havent looked into it for a bit, fairly buggy still.

As for Skype - there may be a native version soon - the PSP just got an update that allows you to do Skype stuff on it.

Dont know how/if it works tho - would never willingly use Skype due to issues I have with the developers sense of ethics.

Get a proper VoIP service that used SIP instead.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 05:10 PM   #6
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Thanks for the replies - It was raining so I couldn't get out in the garden as planned, so I went out shopping... Got the basic 40Gb console for £280 (ok I think?) so I'll be faffing around with it later

After playing with it for a couple of hours.... awesome. Doubt I'll bother with the 360 any more.
Brillaint upscaling of Divx, plays everything I've tried. Game quality seems pretty par with the xbox, though I like the controller better, especially the wii type motion sensing, great with the burnout paradise demo.

Last edited by tigersaw; 04-03-08 at 12:54 AM.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote