SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 28-04-14, 01:48 PM   #1
SvNewbie

Default Ride home through Wales

I'm at a wedding near Manchester on Friday. In order to make it worth taking the bike (providing the weather stays passable) I'm thinking of taking staying with my cousin on Saturday who lives near Mold and heading back along a route something like this on Sunday.

Don't want to do too many more miles, but slight detours for particularly good roads / biker spots would be welcome!

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...ia=1,2&t=m&z=8
Old 28-04-14, 04:12 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ride home through Wales

You need to continue along the A5 past Pentrefoelas then turn left down the B4407 through Ysbyty Ifan, then left again along the B4391 till you come to the A4212. Turn left again there for Bala.

The B4391 is probably one of the finest and most engaging roads anywhere in Wales, far superior to the much better known A4212 in my opinion.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mold...0257!3e0?hl=en

Last edited by garynortheast; 28-04-14 at 04:29 PM.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-14, 03:01 PM   #3
Scythe92

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
You need to continue along the A5 past Pentrefoelas then turn left down the B4407 through Ysbyty Ifan, then left again along the B4391 till you come to the A4212. Turn left again there for Bala.

The B4391 is probably one of the finest and most engaging roads anywhere in Wales, far superior to the much better known A4212 in my opinion.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mold...0257!3e0?hl=en
I was about suggest exactly, the B4391 is probably my favourite road I've found so far in 5 years of riding, the A4212 is just a typical road in Wales for me. I'd probably start the B4391 at Blasteu Ffestignog as the first part is pretty damn good.

That road takes a bit to learn so don't go hooning down it, but enjoy it.

Last edited by Scythe92; 30-04-14 at 03:02 PM.
Old 30-04-14, 07:07 PM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Both good suggestions above but in keeping with your need to not do too many more miles perhaps the B4391 should be saved for another day.

I'd go over the Horseshoe Pass from LLandegla (stop at the Ponderosa biker spot) to LLangollen then up the A5 to Corwen as that section is quite good on a bike, beware of speed cameras at the weekend though. From Corwen take the B4401, a good road but a bit pot-holed (I rode it yesterday), turn left at Pale Hall and cut through to the B4391 to go over the Berwyns. Follow the route below to LLanfair Caereinion to pick up the B4389 to Tregynnon (look out for left turn in Tregynnon) and then on to Bettws Cedewan and Newtown. From Newtown ride the peerless A483 to Crossgates to pick up your original route. The A483 can be busy with sports-bike knobs at weekends, just so you know. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mold...0257!3e0?hl=en

This route means you miss the great ride to Machynlleth and over the mountain to LLanidloes and is offered as an alternative as that route is also very, very good. I'm lucky, I can link both routes as a loop from home
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Last edited by Luckypants; 01-05-14 at 02:45 PM.
Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 11:01 AM   #5
SvNewbie

Cheers guys. You guys are lucky buggers, everywhere you drop a pin on googlemaps it looks like a great bike road.

Shall not be riding particularly quickly anyway, will have all the soft luggage on and a desire to get home in one piece
Old 01-05-14, 08:15 PM   #6
Noro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvNewbie View Post
Cheers guys. You guys are lucky buggers, everywhere you drop a pin on googlemaps it looks like a great bike road.

Shall not be riding particularly quickly anyway, will have all the soft luggage on and a desire to get home in one piece
Careful on the A483, lots of **** on the road recently and it's easy to get sucked in to them corners!
Old 01-05-14, 09:26 PM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I rode the 483 on Tuesday and the surface was clean.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote