SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-02-06, 07:18 PM   #1
philipMac

Default Cars and unlikely stories...

I am quite impressed with this drivers *ahem* this drivers freind's story.

"The Ferrari was going at least 100 mph when the driver lost control and struck a power pole, investigators said. The car — one of only 400 made — shattered, with its engine coming to rest on the highway and its wreckage scattered.
Ericksson told them he was a passenger and the driver was a German acquaintance he knew only as Dietrich, who he said ran into the nearby hills. A three-hour search failed to turn up anyone, and officials said they were skeptical of the account. Only the driver’s side air bag deployed..."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11499944/
Now... thats some innovative thinking under pressure.

I hope Dietrich was ok...
Old 22-02-06, 09:17 PM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

what a dope.

Why didnt he just say he sneezed or something. Surley he knew that the airbag thing was a bit of a give away. tw@
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-06, 12:26 AM   #3
Say_Cheese

I've been at RTA's and have heard some of the stupid stories that the public give the old bill. They must think that the old bill are all on their first day of the job.

The funniest was the bloke who had rolled his car across the dual carrigeway and ended up on his roof in a ditch. We pulled him out and he was fine. He refused to go to A&E and the police were already on scene. We handed him to the police and he was asked for a breath sample. (The inside of the car contained two half drunk bottles of Vodka and he stunk of drink.) This guy then point blank refused to give a breath sample claiming that it was illegal as it contravened his human rights. He was promptly arrested and he was later done for not only drink driving but also refusing to comply with a police request (or something like that.)
Old 23-02-06, 08:37 AM   #4
Demonz

I didnt know airbags could sense what seat you were in and deploy based on this. Is that correct?? I thought they just all went off.
Old 23-02-06, 08:39 AM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Whatever happened, snapping your $1m dollar Enzo in half has just got to make you cry. I know it did when it happened to me!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-06, 09:51 AM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonsta
I didnt know airbags could sense what seat you were in and deploy based on this. Is that correct?? I thought they just all went off.
In the same way that certain cars (like the g/fs current bmw1) have that annoying habit of going "Boing-boing" until you put your belt on, they have a weight sensor to activate the airbags that are needed.
Otherwise you'd have a people carrier with just a driver in that has a prang and has upto 8 airbags go off at once.
I'm sure that wouldnt be cheap to get all new airbags fitted.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-06, 11:51 AM   #7
SVeeedy Gonzales

He was racing a Mercedes SLR at the time, according to Metro...

Not sure what's worse...

Being whipped in your limited edition Ferrari by a Mercedes that cost a fraction of it's £680,000-odd price tag.

Breaking your Ferrari in half.

Getting grilled/busted by the police for road racing, driving dangerously, crashing and then fibbing about it.

Only in America
Old 23-02-06, 12:07 PM   #8
wyrdness

More info and photos here:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/02...ferrari_crash/
Old 23-02-06, 03:36 PM   #9
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales

Not sure what's worse...

Being whipped in your limited edition Ferrari by a Mercedes that cost a fraction of it's £680,000-odd price tag.

Breaking your Ferrari in half.

Getting grilled/busted by the police for road racing, driving dangerously, crashing and then fibbing about it.
I would never have thought guyOwen could afford a Ferrari

What is quite impressive though, is how they design those machines, (similar to F1 machines I suppose) can take all the energy from the impact, and dissapate it off in lots of directions (shattering the car) resulting in a much safer cockpit for the driver.

I like