SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-01-12, 11:10 PM   #1
HoL

Default Back brake rubbing after caliper clean.

Struggling to figure this out so...

I removed & cleaned the callipers off my bike taking the opportunity to fit braided lines at the same time. Front brakes are fine & dandy but not the back one.

First time I fitted it you could hear it rubbing but when it pressed the pedal it completely locked up. Brake fluid drained & caliper was still clamped to the disc. Took the caliper apart again & renewed the seals (yeah should have done that in the first place but they looked ok) & used some rrg to help the pistons slide.

Second time I fitted it didn't lock up but it was rubbing still.

Taken off again & checked it out, I had the anti squeal shims on the wrong sides compared to the pic in Haynes so changed them round & guess what still rubbing (not locking up tho)

Pedal movement seems quite small too, about 1cm to fully on.

All I can think of is that the pads aren't seated as they were before so they need to bed in again?

Any ideas? I've done nothing but pump that brake lever all night agghhhh
Old 26-01-12, 01:14 AM   #2
Destruktor77

Default Re: Back brake rubbing after caliper clean

When I did mine back in November, the front was rubbing, I re-bled the line (reusing the new fluid) but made sure to leave some travel (Perhaps about 3-5cm) in the lever before it applied the brake, my guessing is this created more suction for the pistons to go back in as there was room for the lever to return. But it might have been something else. When it comes to brakes and such so much baffles me...
Old 26-01-12, 07:24 AM   #3
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Is the pressure on the lever constant?

It sounds like the caliper is binding

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-12, 07:51 AM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Are you sure that you correctly cleaned the seal grooves? You must make sure they're completely clear and square or the seals will deform when fitted and the pistons will not retract.

Also make sure that the fluid way between the caliper halves is clear As the caliper is underslung, those drillings often get sludged up, causing the inner piston to not retract,
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-12, 09:00 AM   #5
HoL

Thanks Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Are you sure that you correctly cleaned the seal grooves? You must make sure they're completely clear and square or the seals will deform when fitted and the pistons will not retract.
There was what just looked like discolouration but i'll give them another go over to make sure they are perfectly clean. Whats good for removing any residue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Also make sure that the fluid way between the caliper halves is clear As the caliper is underslung, those drillings often get sludged up, causing the inner piston to not retract,
This bit looked all good, the caliper wasn't in a very good state externally but internals were all nice & clean.
Old 26-01-12, 09:03 AM   #6
HoL

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
Is the pressure on the lever constant?
I don't get what you mean? The lever moves what seems to me to be less than it did (about 1cm) then is solid as the fluid is fully compressed. The lever does reset itself.
Old 26-01-12, 09:47 AM   #7
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoL View Post
I don't get what you mean? The lever moves what seems to me to be less than it did (about 1cm) then is solid as the fluid is fully compressed. The lever does reset itself.
When you press the lever does the resistance stay the same through the full movement

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
Old 26-01-12, 10:35 AM   #8
HoL

Quote:
When you press the lever does the resistance stay the same through the full movement
It tightens up at the end - but thats what brakes do isn't it?

Thinking about it, it probably feels a bit firmer than just the resistance of the spring then goes solid quite sharply, like i said it only moves about 1cm though. It's a bit funny using my hand instead of my foot so difficult to compare the difference.

I think I see were you're going with this. Everything points to the pistons stuck in the caliper doesn't it?

Looks like they're coming off again tonight. I'm so glad I built a shed to do this in!
Old 26-01-12, 11:22 AM   #9
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoL View Post
It tightens up at the end - but thats what brakes do isn't it?

Thinking about it, it probably feels a bit firmer than just the resistance of the spring then goes solid quite sharply, like i said it only moves about 1cm though. It's a bit funny using my hand instead of my foot so difficult to compare the difference.

I think I see were you're going with this. Everything points to the pistons stuck in the caliper doesn't it?

Looks like they're coming off again tonight. I'm so glad I built a shed to do this in!
The travel's fine

Does sound like it needs cleaned and stripped

Old 26-01-12, 11:24 AM   #10
HoL

Quote:
The travel's fine

Does sound like it needs cleaned and stripped
A good soak in brake cleaner to remove any gubbins?