SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-05-08, 04:51 PM   #1
ThEGr33k

Default I need some thoughts - Help me .Org

Well as some of you may know im in the RAF. Ive recently been thinking about getting out as it isn't what I hoped it would be. The thing is I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I obviously want a reasonably well payed job...

So anyone got any ideas what a fella with 2 A levels Chemistry and Biology (3 if you count General studies), and 10 GCSE's + a fair bit of computer based training from the RAF should go for? I really am stuck for ideas... There seem to be too many people with decent Computer qualifications about...

Cheers for any help.
Old 19-05-08, 04:59 PM   #2
Rich
Mega Poster

Default Re: I need some thoughts - Help me .Org

Heating Engineer? Loads of blokes that work for the company im with come from all lines of work, we have 3 from the army. A bunch of truck drivers and electricians, photocopier engineers and the list goes on.

It's challenging enough and the rewards are good, its quiet a relaxed business in summer where early finishes happen most days, but winter time its hectic as hell but then i don't mind so much as theres no much you can do in winter time.

I'm only 19 and i have the potential to earn 30+k plus bonuses this year. Wages go up the more you do/learn and you can always go self employed and earn your fortune later on. Our adult apprentices start from 26-45 years old at the mo so the age range is varied. I expect theres plenty of companies around your area that would have a similar set up.

Rich
Old 19-05-08, 05:01 PM   #3
ThEGr33k

I could do with learning to drive like... That would no doubt help me.
Old 19-05-08, 05:14 PM   #4
Wayluya

Yer don't say what you did in the RAF, so I am guessing not directly relevent to Civvie Street.

I would suggest a job / skill / trade that you could also later become self-employed in either as a 1 man (and a dog?!) band or larger and requires someone to physically be in this country for! If I was starting again I would have gone for either Plumber (like a couple of me mates) or Marine Engineer.......pity you are not in the RN!

Anything you can sign up for in the RAF for them to teach you? (whilst paying you!)...from the adverts they seem to do other things apart from fly stuff

Yeah, learning to drive would be a useful start!
Old 19-05-08, 05:17 PM   #5
Razor

Why not transfer in the RAF to summat else? Civvy street isn't all well paid jobs and beemers ya know...
Old 19-05-08, 05:24 PM   #6
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Why not transfer in the RAF to summat else? Civvy street isn't all well paid jobs and beemers ya know...
I know... But you don't have to go out of the country for 4 months... they are talking or are I hear putting it up to 6 months. Its this that is bothering me most. I don't know how ill cope tbh. not very well...

My job atm is Communications and Information Systems operator/maintainer. Basically I'm trained in Computer networks, Computer's, Radar's and Phone networks. bit of a geek trade. Thing is Im not doing any of that. Ive been let down by the RAF. At the moment Im stamping pieces of paper, its not a bad job in that its easy and I get payed ok... But it aint something I want to do.

Id also like to be closer to my Friends and Family, you might think me sad for saying that... but thats how I feel.
Old 19-05-08, 05:49 PM   #7
ThEGr33k

Basically I need to pick a profession I want to do.... man thats a BIG question.
Old 19-05-08, 05:53 PM   #8
metalmonkey

I would look for a transfer within the raf first right now I wouldn't have though is a good time to be changing jobs.

I know for me, when I change my posting, it will be better what I do is good but know there are better things for me to do, So surley not the same for the raf?
Old 19-05-08, 06:02 PM   #9
Miss Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Id also like to be closer to my Friends and Family, you might think me sad for saying that... but thats how I feel.
Nope not at all. I understand how difficult it must be for you to try and think of a brand new career direction because the list of jobs is endless.

I guess a good way to start is to think of things you would like to do. What are you interested in? What area/field do you like? Or an easier way is to think of what you definately dont want to do.

Do you enjoy the job you do now? Forgive me if I sound stupid, but you mentioned that "you would look for a transfer but its not a good time to change jobs" - why? what exactly does a transfer involve? a new working location or a different sorta job?
How long have you wanted a career change? do you really want to do something different or have you hit a low point of "oh my job is crap, I hate it" (ive hit that too many times, lol)

If you enjoy/like what you do now then try and think of companies where you could use the skills you already have. There is something there for you, you just need to try and find it

You dont have to have a degree to have a good and well-paid job. Im more "qualified" in terms of academia than my friend who left school with only GCSE's yet she earns way more than me.

Good luck though, I hope it all works out for you

Maria
Old 19-05-08, 06:49 PM   #10
stewie

Dont know if its any good to you but delpel popped round mine the other weekend, he,s leaving the mob, he mentioned an organisation called RAF E dont know what it stands for or if Ive got the name right but they are there to specifically help ex serviceman into jobs in civvy st, pm delpel he might be able to help you.