SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-02-06, 02:37 PM   #1
Warthog

Default Oil leak - help!

I just took my SV out for a ride, and when I came back out of the shops, i noticed some oil (not petrol I think) on the frame!

I took a few photos, what is wrong?!

1st Pic) Oil on frame marked. Seems to have dripped from under here (marked)
http://www.hostile.digitalblade.co.uk/oil1.JPG

2nd pic) Shot from slightly closer and underneath. Oil is dripping off the black thing. And there is a random pipe that isn't connected to anything.
http://www.hostile.digitalblade.co.uk/oil2.JPG

3rd pic) Extreme closeup. You can see the oil drop. Is that pipe meant to be connected to anything? it comes out of the lower half of the front cylinder.
http://www.hostile.digitalblade.co.u...%20closeup.JPG

Help me quickly please!
Old 03-02-06, 02:48 PM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

Looks like the crankcase breather pipe off of the airbox and its come detached from the airbox. Have a real good look and you should be able to push it back from where i came (Above it) Nothing to worry about mate
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-06, 02:49 PM   #3
andy

That pipe should be connected (it has a clip on it so stop it coming off), but I cannot tell you where as I have a curvey.

Is it not obvious where it is suppoed to go?
Old 03-02-06, 02:56 PM   #4
Warthog

Thanks for the prompt replies, I did have a look round, but it was not obvious, so please anyone with any more help tell me where it goes?!

Thanks,
Nick
Old 03-02-06, 02:56 PM   #5
Last Action Pimp

that should be connected to sumit, raise the tank and look for where it goes
Old 03-02-06, 03:09 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Lift the tank, it will be a bit easier to see, the tube connects at the bottom of the airbox at the rear on the left.

It's behind the frame, but with the tank lifted it should be apparent.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-06, 03:11 PM   #7
empty

As said...

They do have a tendancy to come off, I've replaced the spring clips with jubilee clips (bit of a pain to get to) so they won't come off again and coat the bike in oil.

MT
Old 03-02-06, 03:31 PM   #8
Warthog

You guys are geniuses thank you! I went outside determined to see where it had come from. After a lot of scrabbling around on the floor I found the nozzle it is supposed to be attached to. It was way up behind the wiring (that can be seen on the 2nd and 3rd pictures), close to the frame, exactly where sid squid said it was. Trouble is, I am way too scared to take the tank off, and needed to ride it in an hour as well. So I basically I tried to shove it back on and slide the ring clip back over it into the groove. It was very hidden behind the wiring, and extremely hard to get to without removing the tank but finally with bleeding cold and oily hands I managed it!

Gave it a little tug, seems secure. Cleaned up oil. I think the oil dripping off the black part (in pic2) had actually been squirted there out of the tube. What is the airbox and what does it do out of interest?

Thanks for the info guys, I'll let you know if it comes loose again too easily.

Grateful Nick
Old 03-02-06, 03:57 PM   #9
andy

The airbox is a buffer of clean air - it helps to smooth out the pulses in air flow created by the engine pumping.

The pipe goes into it because it is a convenient place to dump oil vapour and overflows - it gets burnt.
Old 03-02-06, 04:09 PM   #10
Warthog

very clever, thanks!