SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-08-08, 05:46 PM   #1
drag

Default I think i've broken my engine

Evening all, just home after a long day out on the bike, had to get recovery, god bless Carol nash, was mid corner letting off the throttle when i had a sudden loss of power, applied more throttle and away we went for a few yards, but i could hear a strange noise coming from the engine, pulled her over and she died.

Started her again with my lid off and i could hear wratteling when she was idling it's hard to pin point which cylinder it's from , i'd almost say it's in between them, but i'd lean more to the problem being with the front cylinder.

any thoughs as to what coudl have happened, odbvious as the throttle increases so does the wrattle

dave..
Old 04-08-08, 05:57 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: I think i've broken my engine

Oil level?
If you cant see oil in the sight glass its probably done the crank.
Old 04-08-08, 06:00 PM   #3
drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Oil level?
If you cant see oil in the sight glass its probably done the crank.
Feck i never checked, however she's always been stable with oil, and only had a fill a month ago, if even that.

*goes to look*

Gonna have to take off the lowers to tell properly, but we could be on to a winner

Last edited by drag; 04-08-08 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 08:16 PM   #4
drag

Yup, oil starvation, fupn hell, never saw the oil light come on all day, which leads me to believe that sensor is foobared, so the crank is prob burst is that the diagnosis ?
Old 04-08-08, 08:19 PM   #5
jumjum_0214

I think the oil light only comes on when it detects low pressure.

Sorry to hear of your troubles mate.....
Old 04-08-08, 08:23 PM   #6
drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumjum_0214 View Post
I think the oil light only comes on when it detects low pressure.

Sorry to hear of your troubles mate.....
Low pressure, odd, i had her up a few mountain area's alright today, i'd have expected to see something.

Maybe i was just driving her to hard
Old 04-08-08, 11:12 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Yup, fraid the oil pressure light isn't an oil level light, the oil level sensor is your eyes. By the time the oil light comes on in an oil starvation situation, it's too late

But don't panic! It's always dead easy to jump straight to engine death, it's a bit premature for that here.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 11:44 PM   #8
drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Yup, fraid the oil pressure light isn't an oil level light, the oil level sensor is your eyes. By the time the oil light comes on in an oil starvation situation, it's too late

But don't panic! It's always dead easy to jump straight to engine death, it's a bit premature for that here.

It dosent seem to be totaly dead alright, im just concerned we've busted a good few bits and the hastle im going to have at gettin those bits i need.

I'm also rather annoyed, a fresh fill of oil, gone in a month....
Old 05-08-08, 08:11 AM   #9
riktherider

what kind of rattle is it? is it a heavy sounding rattle or a lighter sounding rattle? it could bhe your cam chain tensioner. i had a rattle for a little while, got the instructions from the main site and hey presto sorted. change the oil, then see how it goes. what year sv and how many miles has it done?? if the cam chain was very very loose then it could have slipped a cog on the cam shaft which means your timings out which explains the suddon loss of power and cutting out.
Old 05-08-08, 10:25 AM   #10
drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by riktherider View Post
what kind of rattle is it? is it a heavy sounding rattle or a lighter sounding rattle? it could bhe your cam chain tensioner. i had a rattle for a little while, got the instructions from the main site and hey presto sorted. change the oil, then see how it goes. what year sv and how many miles has it done?? if the cam chain was very very loose then it could have slipped a cog on the cam shaft which means your timings out which explains the suddon loss of power and cutting out.

It's a light enough rattle i guess, but again that could be down to lack of oil, im fairly sure this is going to cost me a mint by the time the garage strips the engine and find out whats wrong, i was going to go down the road of filling it with oil again and running it, but i'd rather have the internals checked out first of.