SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-07-14, 12:22 PM   #1
Corny Gizmo

Default Pointy sliding in the wet

Afternoon Orgers!

I Bought a brand new Pointy (L2) in April, I ride to work every day so I'm already upto 4,200 miles. I have luckily only been caught in the rain a handful of times, but the other day it was really coming down, I approached an on ramp to an expressway (Very long downhill right sweep 30MPH limit) doing around 35, halfway down the back end stepped out, only slightly but I didn't like it. Then further down it bends to the left alongside the other lanes of traffic, the back end stepped out even further than before, managed to recover and carried on.

I had the missus on the bike at the time too, I now understandably have no confidence in the wet, I can feel the rear loosing grip, and BTW the above was with no acceleration, just keeping the bike at the same speed, no insane lean angle either.

I have heard the original dunlops are no good but could this be the reason for the slips? I have attached some pictures as tread on the edges of the tyre have weird lips on them, also the tyre is getting square.

Is it time for a new one even though there is plenty of thread? (Front is also fine)

Last edited by Corny Gizmo; 07-07-14 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-07-14, 12:47 PM   #2
rigor

Default Re: Pointy sliding in the wet

Difficult to tell in the pictures, but the tyre is looking a little bit square IMO. In the second pic you can see the tread wear indicator.
Old 07-07-14, 12:53 PM   #3
zombie

Consider Pilot Road 3s for a very good wet tyre if you replace them.
zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 12:55 PM   #4
Dave81

There's an awful lot of cracking going on inside the tread, are you sure the rubber hasn't dried out?
Old 07-07-14, 01:01 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

those tyres dont have the nickname 'dunslips' for nothing.

this night sound a bit harsh but it's not meant to be, get used to the bike sliding. it's a motorbike they only have 2 wheels and they are going to slide when you least expect it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 01:05 PM   #6
Corny Gizmo

It feels quite soft, what cause the drying out? I haven't had one day that it hasn't been ridden, so its not like it has been sat :/

Also, in the second picture you can see the roughness of the left edge, I dont know why but when I go to wales for a nice rideout, the edges go like this and really soft and sticky too, are they overheating?

In regards to the tread indicator, I dont even know what that is, is it the line running across the tyre?
Old 07-07-14, 01:08 PM   #7
Corny Gizmo

Fair enough Bibio, I had a 99" curvy with conti motions and it never slipped unless it was getting hammered around a roundabout (which I enjoyed ), it was just quite unnerving having the back end do that at such slow speeds thats all.

In the dry though the tires are more than adequate.
Old 07-07-14, 01:08 PM   #8
rigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corny Gizmo View Post
In regards to the tread indicator, I dont even know what that is, is it the line running across the tyre?
I've circles the tread wear indicator. It's the little lump of rubber in the tread. It's to show when the tread has worn down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wcxh.jpg (61.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-07-14, 01:11 PM   #9
Corny Gizmo

oh brilliant thanks, so Im guessing when that is flush, its time for a new tyre?
Old 07-07-14, 01:18 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Have you checked the tyre pressures?You say you had a pillion,so how much all up weight was that?The standard sv has basic suspension so could that be the issue?Or maybe the tyre is past its best,which was never that good anyway.