SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Riding Gear Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 02-09-10, 11:56 PM   #1
davepreston

Default the offical D.P approved bike kit

as it seems im the offical org test dummy it thought id share my extenive finding on the varing bike kit ive crashed wearing ,the good the bad and the dont get on the bike without

LIDS
shoei is my preferd lid so far ive binned it wearing
Raid 2 / XR1000

first R2 , 40 mph off done its job very well, and after an inspection was able to be reused

XR 1000. 70 mph off, very good results for this ,visor stayed on when sliding face first down the tarmac, which saved my face especially eyes from shedloads of damage, unusable after but hell after that i didnt mind

2nd R2 , 100 mph off, again cracking job only slight down point was the visor came off but on inspection after this was a good thing due to the way i landed, it seemed to me to be a design feature incase of the type of accident i had

both highly recomended

Leathers

Shoei 2 peice with liquid armour

100 mph off, feck me thank christ i was wearing these, knees and elbow protection was unparelled ,,had a tiny friction burn on right knee a non injury if you will, i did break my collarbone and crack some ribs,
but that was good concidering and i think the only thing which could possibly have stopped it would have been one of the moto gp style airbag things, back protection was emmence to the point the marshalls and paramedics where highly surprised i had absolutely no damage to my back ,not even bruses,
tbh the leathers are still in v good condition and would easily handle another off as it just has some rash all over and a small cut on the bum, all stitching held up brilliantly, top top kit
remember this was a 100mph off

Ixon textile jacket and trousers

70 mph off, did its job but nowhere near as well as the kit above ,also is completely unuseable now, some friction burns around knees ,elbow and shoulder , but back protection held up well, had hip protection which defo was a bonus and all amour was knox so good stuff, all in all good for what it is, and not expencive, id use again for winter but go the shoei leathers as often as poss

Boots

oxtar tcx
why oh why did oxtar go under (now tcx) i fecking love these boots 3 years of use, comfy as , if annoyingly queaky
70 mph off/ 100 mph off
still fully useable if no longer completely waterproof, the extra ankle protection was brilliant and saved me serious damage,
if you can find them get them simples

pro biker ankle boots
40 mph off , cheap and cheerful , comfy but little protection ok for a nip into town but nothing more, did an ok job with my off but id recomend something with a bit more ankle protection to everyone

Gloves

spada enforcer
40 mph off / 70 mph off
toasty comfy gloves that did a good job overall, survived the first off well (40) but the 70 mph killed them, extra knucle protection was a big advantage but at 70 they did burn through on 2 or 3 places but overall a v good glove especially for 50 note

alpine star sp1
100 mph off
proper summer glove, proper protection for main fingers but i did break my baby finger a bit more protection around the bottom edge of the glove would have helped, no burn thru, great glove worth 100 odd note mmmmm i think i'll try the knox one next for a few quid more

any questions or things you think i missed just ask
dave

Last edited by davepreston; 03-09-10 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-09-10, 07:47 AM   #2
AndyBrad

Default Re: the offical D.P approved bike kit

what kit didnt you like?
Old 03-09-10, 08:07 AM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Dave, have you considered bubble wrap???

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 08:16 AM   #4
Owenski

Dave, have you considered taking the bus from now on???

I dont think the kit is designed to be "consumer tested" but its glad to know it all held up well an that you're on the mend.
Old 04-09-10, 05:11 PM   #5
davepreston

me testing it saves you's testing it
simples
Old 04-09-10, 06:07 PM   #6
Milky Bar Kid

Good thread DP!! Like it!