SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-12-11, 09:28 AM   #1
missyburd

Default Sleety/snowy riding

Thought this might be a good place for those more experienced riders among us to share a bit of advice for the newbies about to embark on their first winters on bigger bikes...one of 'em being me. Sort of on a par with Motorpsych's nigghtime riding thread.

Although this is my second winter on my own bike, last year I was on a 125, so nice skinny tyres much better suited to the white stuff.

This year I'm better equipped with a Pinlock, heated grips I can have on more than the lowest setting and proper quilted textiles.

Last night I made the normal 10 mile commute home at about ten at night. I'd seen the snow coming down about half8. Also seen a gritter going up just minutes before. I work on a cobbled street and cobbles + snow do no mix well so I was a little worried but by the time I left to go home the grit had done it's job and the snow had stopped. Bike covered in snow (parked outside at work), she starts first time, heated grips on and away we go, me taking it very easy. I'd forgotten to stick my gloves on the heater after them getting wet on the way to work so unfortunately they were damp and hence my hands were frozen within 5 mins of me getting on the road

All pretty much fine until I get to the higher bits of my way home, cold winds get up and I find these bits have not been gritted, oh the joy. Half inch to an inch in places. Not much I know but enough to make my back end fishtail round a particularly nasty bend at about 15mph (ironically next to the massive grit pile that provides for the area ). So that shook me up a bit but hand was not going anywhere near the brakes and that's where it was staying. I was making sure to be in higher gears where possible and staying in the car tracks at about 20-25mph I kept going.

Then I come across a flock of about 20 sheep break away from a field on my left, looked like they'd just escaped. Great. I slow right down but really don't want to stop as there were crosswinds and I try not to stop at this bit because I nearly get blown over when I do. And I'd need to use brakes, don't do that if I can help it in these conditions! A few of the sheep stop to face me in the middle of my side of the road next to the traffic island but I ain't stopping. The snow is an inch to my right and I wasn't riding over it to go round them so I move slowly as far over to the right of my side as possible, slow enough for the stragglers to rejoin the flock and start 'em running on the left. I know there's a track on the left that goes to a cricket club, plenty of room for the sheep and sure enough they all dive down it and I can carry on, HUGE sigh of relief. I had a car behind me at this point but I can't pick up speed, the road is still covered and not many cars have been along here late on a Sunday night. The driver behind was pretty good and was giving me plenty of room.

I get home with no further hiccups, sticking to the main roads where possible. I find the ones closer to home have been gritted properly so can ride as normal. Then I just have to endure a very painful ten minutes with my gloves off, as the blood returns to my fingers

My bike's my only transport, obviously if the weather is real bad I wouldn't ride but in those conditions where you either feel it's not too bad and you can "give it a go" or you get caught out, how best to deal with it?

Riding in higher gears, changing gear as smoothly as possible to avoid sudden jerky movements, sticking to car tracks...What else can you do?

Cheers in advance,

MYC
Old 05-12-11, 09:58 AM   #2
Sally

Default Re: Sleety/snowy riding

Be smooth, in every aspect.

Don't shut the throttle quickly, successfully locked my rear doing that last year and slid down the road.

Everything else seems bang on, keeping on the car tracks, low revs, engine braking blah blah

I have been known to ride when its really bad with my feet off the pegs and stretched out, like stabilisers when the back end kicks out so I can try to correct it. Looks silly, but I find it works and gives me more piece of mind too.

If you have to choose between riding on snow or slush, choose snow.

This is my 5th winter of riding through it, last winter I ended up taking the bus a lot of I wasn't as daft as I was when I was younger.
Old 05-12-11, 10:01 AM   #3
Sally

Most importantly, always carry a lighter.

When it gets really cold the ignition barrel can freeze/stick.

Heat the keys up, insert into ignition barrel, wait a while than try turning it again.

Repeat until it turns, you can't try any winter riding if you cant start the bike!
Old 05-12-11, 10:16 AM   #4
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Your a God.
All the years I have had a bike as soon as it snows I fall off it.
I had to stick a side car on my RD in the days when I only had bike..and still crashed it several times .
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 10:20 AM   #5
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
Most importantly, always carry a lighter.

When it gets really cold the ignition barrel can freeze/stick.

Heat the keys up, insert into ignition barrel, wait a while than try turning it again.

Repeat until it turns, you can't try any winter riding if you cant start the bike!
A very good point, not being a smoker I don't automatically have one with me, I shall remedy this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Your a God.
All the years I have had a bike as soon as it snows I fall off it.
I had to stick a side car on my RD in the days when I only had bike..and still crashed it several times .
Not a god, far bloody from it. I just have no choice, got to work, got to ride. I did buses for years and believe me, it is a VERY last resort.
Old 05-12-11, 10:58 AM   #6
plowsie

Stay loose and calm.

Soon as you stiffen up, you start to twitch etc...if you get a twitch don't overthink it, move on and carry on, think about it when you get home, the road requires your concentration.

Apply forces gently (acceleration, braking, turning etc).

Loosey goose!
Old 05-12-11, 11:01 AM   #7
Owenski

Ice is worse than snow, if you can ride in the ice you'll do snow no trouble.

If you're coming off in snow its quite a slow process, your travelling slow already and I found I knew it was going wrong a good 10m before it went. Once you know its going, stay off the power and do your best to keep the bike perpendicular to the tarmac. You may be fortunate and roll/slide to a stop, stay on the bike and try and walk it whilist gently using the power to aid your steps.
Old 05-12-11, 11:31 AM   #8
punyXpress
Mega Poster

If you haven't already, take spare levers ( old 'shortened' ones with a blob of plastic metal will get you home ) and a fixer-peg and you'll never need them.
Best of luck with it!
Old 05-12-11, 11:44 AM   #9
Seggons

When I went through 2 winters I found it best not to ride in the car tyre tracks. If enough snow comes down the cars compact it and that becomes ice. I found I had much better grip in the fresh snow in the middle.
Old 05-12-11, 11:58 AM   #10
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I only rode in snow once on the SV and found it surprisingly firm footed. Corners were terrifying because I could feel the snow compacting under the wheels, but she stayed up right and did well. Riding while it was snowing was horrible, my visor froze, visibility was low and some car drivers drove like utter twunts, one even cut me up. If I get caught again this winter, the bike will be going home and being sat in the garage just like last year. Snow and Ice for me means crampons and walking. I wish you all luck if you have to ride in those conditions, you are far braver than I.

I rode home from Portishead along the M5 and then the A370, the snow was three inches deep by the time I got into Weston and I found that riding in the centre of the lane, away from car tracks, meant I had more traction. However, once it settled and went crisp, I was riding with my feet down like outriggers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.

Last edited by Jayneflakes; 05-12-11 at 12:01 PM.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote