SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-12-16, 10:05 AM   #11
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650S 1st gen: 15A SIGNAL fuse keeps blowing when switched from neutral to 1st gear.

"main 10A fuse is not blown as it's larger in size" I assume that's a typo
main fuse is 30A.

"yesterday it blew after I moved and did 100m or so." So it might be a vibration issue too.

Do you have stock turn signals? In fact, do you have any electrical mods?

A typical problem on many bikes is related to wires been chafed due to handlebar movement - raise the front wheel and move the bars lock to lock with power on to see what happens.

Have you tried letting it stand with the power on without starting (on a charger)? If that blows the fuse, remove the turn signal relay and try again.

I used to be an electronic tech too but bike (and car) electrics are voodoo. Have you tried an exorcism?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-16, 10:38 AM   #12
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650S 1st gen: 15A SIGNAL fuse keeps blowing when switched from neutral to 1st gear.

Check for the loom chaffing under the seat, a known weak point, especially as you're kind of applying presure when you engage the gear. Might be something daft like that.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-16, 02:07 PM   #13
General G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
"main 10A fuse is not blown as it's larger in size" I assume that's a typo
main fuse is 30A.
Yep typo, I was in the process of ordering mini fuses and red 10s were displayed on the screen.

Quote:
In fact, do you have any electrical mods?
No, apart of heated grips (separate circuit) and flushed indos that use the same bulbs as the originals. No LEDs, HIDs, all stocker.

Quote:
Have you tried letting it stand with the power on without starting (on a charger)? If that blows the fuse, remove the turn signal relay and try again.
Very good point, not yet.

Quote:
I used to be an electronic tech too but bike (and car) electrics are voodoo. Have you tried an exorcism?
No, the last chicken went into soup and my rum only goes with coke cant be wasted on the bike

Thanks a million all for the input.
Old 17-01-17, 02:07 PM   #14
General G.

Hi all,
First and foremost Happy New Year, my first response here in 2017.

So the problem is fixed now, and it required some help from my trusted mechanic.

Over Christmas, I stripped the bike down and used this opportunity to change the air filter, oil, plugs etc. So I run diagnostics on the loom but couldn't really locate any short. Because the bike stood unused over Christmas and it wasnt exposed to any rain, I thought (falsely) there was water somewhere in the connectors causing all the trouble. I disconnected the connectors, run a contact cleaner on them, plugged everything in back, some WD40 over the loom/connectors do disperse any water left. Happy days I thought but I wasnt too extatic and I know bikes are temperamental. So I called it a draw.

Back to work, 3rd day in, same stuff, in the middle of my journey back home, puff, no stop, no dash, no indos. This time I wasn't in the position to go back to this work again so dropped the bike at my mechanic to look at.

His answer for the symptoms of 1 minute fuse life was: a wire with broken sheath rubbing against the frame somewhere. And if fact it took him 3 hours to run whole length of every wire on that net to locate it. It was a stop light 12v wire, with an opening of about 2mm arching with a subframe under the passenger seat. At the stage he found it, the wire was blackened so he cut a piece out and soldered fresh piece in. He insulated it and put some piece of rubber between the loom and subframe to avoid further problems in these areas.

One happy camper. I still call it a draw tho - the bike reached into me pocket again. Time is money but if you dont have time, often you have to have money instead

Thanks again for all the contributors.

Case closed.
Old 17-01-17, 06:00 PM   #15
maviczap
Mega Poster

Cool!
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 08:49 AM   #16
Geodude
Mega Poster

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for updating us

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-17, 06:58 PM   #17
Blapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
I'd start by checking the looms for signs of old age - insulation worn through? If your bike's a daily rider, it is probably pretty dirty so the grit can help the abrasion of the wires.

How many miles?
- I thank you
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote