SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-01-17, 04:25 PM   #1
Zim

Default Taxed, Insured, not MOT

My bike is stored in a relative's garage at the moment, and while it's taxed and insured, it has since lapsed the MOT. Anyone know if I need to rush out and get an MOT on it, or can I just do that in a month or so when I plan to start riding again?

As far as I'm aware, SORN is only a tax thing, and MOT and insurance are only an issue if you're actively riding - so I can ride over to the MOT place to get a new MOT legally and don't need to worry about it being stored off road without MOT.
Yamaha YB100

Last edited by Zim; 19-01-17 at 04:26 PM.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 04:35 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Taxed, Insured, not MOT

no problem. as long as your taxed and insured for going to get a pre booked mot your fine.

if however the bike gets stolen the insurance will try it on.

i kept moving the mot date forward to a more reasonable time of year over the past 6 years so i now mot mid April. my tax runs out end of April which keeps me legal to get mot. i renew my tax online the moment it comes through the door. insurance is still end of November as thats when i got the bike.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 04:37 PM   #3
Zim

Thanks. Yeah it's a real shame you can't dicker these payment dates around a little easier.
Yamaha YB100
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 09:22 PM   #4
jagryan85

Usually, you need an mot to get tax. If your tax runs out and there is no valid mot, then you won't be able to get tax until its re mot'd. You will then need to sorn it pronto to avoid a fine. You can legally ride your bike to an mot station with no tax (must be sorn'd) or mot, as long as you have at least valid 3 party insurance, and have booked it into a garage. Plod may pull you over though, its at their discretion, if they think you are telling porkies to try to ride without mot/tax they will have you but you can always give them the garage number to check that it is actually booked in and on the way to a garage.

http://m.askthe.police.uk/content/Q6...lementid=39167

Ryan
Old 21-01-17, 10:29 PM   #5
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Do check your particular Insurer covers your motorcycle if it hasn't got an MOT. I used to use E-bike until one day I was checking the small print and saw that one of the stipulations was that the insured vehicle had to have a current MOT. I called them to check I would have cover if I was riding to a pre-arranged MOT test (which is completely legal) and they told me that I wasn't insured as in their opinion any vehicle not currently MOT's was unroadworthy! I took this further with them as this was just plain ridiculous and they eventually got back to me, in writing, confirming their position. I cancelled my policy there and then (mid term and covering seven bikes) and took my business elsewhere.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 08:21 AM   #6
Blapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Do check your particular Insurer covers your motorcycle if it hasn't got an MOT. I used to use E-bike until one day I was checking the small print and saw that one of the stipulations was that the insured vehicle had to have a current MOT. I called them to check I would have cover if I was riding to a pre-arranged MOT test (which is completely legal) and they told me that I wasn't insured as in their opinion any vehicle not currently MOT's was unroadworthy! I took this further with them as this was just plain ridiculous and they eventually got back to me, in writing, confirming their position. I cancelled my policy there and then (mid term and covering seven bikes) and took my business elsewhere.
Actually, I'm not sure that is legal. Who are they to say you cannot ride to a pre-arranged MOT if the law says you can? The problem is that the ANPR system would flag you as insured but the police would see you weren't if they read your policy or you would find you weren't after having an accident.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 08:43 AM   #7
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
in their opinion any vehicle not currently MOT's was unroadworthy!

I'm so logical and pedantic and love taking an argument and testing it.

Is their opinion that any vehicle with a current MOT is roadworthy?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 09:31 AM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

An MOT is only a snapshot taken on the day (or maybe even the hour) it was tested, if you are stopped by Police or have an accident due to a failed part it is absolutely no good going back to MOT provider and complaining. The insurance companies position is pedantic to say the least, quite a few vehicle go for MOT and fail, are they insured on their journeys ? The law says you can journey to an MOT test without an MOT (not sure about the return journey), does that mean that if your vehicle fails you have to leave it at the MOT garage to be fixed and walk home ?

This article says that not having an MOT will not normally invalidate insurance cover as the insurance normally says vehicle must be roadworthy, and having a current MOT does not guarantee that anyway. It also says driving without MOT will attract a fixed penalty fine but no points.

http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/drivi...ut-an-mot.html

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 22-01-17 at 09:42 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 09:44 AM   #9
Blapper

The MOT station would tell you if the vehicle could not be driven away, and under those circumstances you get it recovered to the place you want it fixed. For example brake pads too low is not an unroadworthy situation, you could drive it away, buy the parts, fit them and return for re-test.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-17, 03:13 PM   #10
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
Actually, I'm not sure that is legal. Who are they to say you cannot ride to a pre-arranged MOT if the law says you can? The problem is that the ANPR system would flag you as insured but the police would see you weren't if they read your policy or you would find you weren't after having an accident.
They're not saying you can't ride to a pre-arranged MOT. They're saying they won't insure you for it. Not having insurance would make it illegal. So the law says you can't, if you're not insured.

Obtaining appropriate insurance is entirely the responsibility of the rider.