SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-09-17, 10:48 PM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Halfords Coolant advice pls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Oil and filter were newly done just before I got it. Previous owner had it six months, never rode it (MOTs prove it) and just fitted new battery, oil and filter (receipts provided).
I've done just over 2400 miles in the the two years I've owned it. It's on the list though.
while oil may last in a container unused for years it does not in an engine that has been rarely used and can actually do damage due to the sulphurs and other combustible leftover contaminates suspended in the oil. oil change schedules are not just mileage related but also time once they have been subject to the running of the engine. these contaminates also degrade the viscosity over time. while most of them get clumped together due to the cleaning agents and then get caught in the filter it can sometimes cause sludge which gets trapped in the oil galleys and think it as blocked heart artery's.

if you know that you are going to lay the bike up for any extended time then disconnect the spark plug caps and crank the engine over a few times each week preferably with fresh oil change. when you know you are going to use it then just connect the plug caps again.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-17, 09:58 AM   #12
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Get modern.Go OAT
Old 25-09-17, 11:54 AM   #13
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Cheers for the advice. Oil change is on the list for things I'm currently doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
while oil may last in a container unused for years it does not in an engine that has been rarely used ...
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-17, 10:04 AM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Get modern.Go OAT
Agreed, OAT has been around for quite a few years now and is responsible for the 10 year life of antifreeze. The ethylene glycol bit that stops freezing only degrades slowly over time in any coolant, it is the anticorrosion additives (the OAT bit) that is the big improvement as it is much more stable and long lasting. Silicate antifreeze is only required with older systems containing copper and 'yellow metals' and will damage pump seals in more modern (post 1998 iirc) engines. OAT does not contain silicate and is safe for modern aluminium engines and radiators.

I would happily leave OAT coolant my bike for 5 years.

Don't worry about colour of coolant, it is only put in to show any leaks and for health and safety reasons because coolant would be colourless otherwise.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 27-09-17 at 10:07 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 10:17 AM   #15
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Coolant successfully changed out yesterday. I was surprised how clean it actually looked and very quickly flushed through to clear water with no sludge or signs of anything bad. I did a proper coolant flush too just because I'd bought a tin of Wynn's coolant flush just in case so thought I may as well do it for the £6 it cost.

Fairly straight forward job. Just a bit time consuming. My only top tip would be to put the bucket / tub you're collecting the coolant into about a foot further from the bike than you think you should as the coolant does start coming out quicker than you expect when the bolt is first removed even with the rad cap still loosely in place!

Oil is later on today if I get time : )
Old 29-09-17, 10:45 AM   #16
SV650rules
Mega Poster

When I last changed coolant on bike and car I used one of my wifes kitchen measuring jugs (don't tell her or I am in big trouble - I got my own set from Aldi now which live in the garage) to measure how much came out, so I knew how much I should expect to go back in, and if I had airlock etc.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 12:40 PM   #17
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I managed to fit almost all of a 2L container of coolant in and manual states 1.7L, so guessing it went in ok. I did burp the pipes and shook from side to side etc and it needed topping up after that, so hopfeully got any air out. Will check again after the next few rides.
Old 29-09-17, 12:44 PM   #18
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I think you will be fine.The SV's cooling system is superb,if as you have done,change the coolant when recommended.

Whilst I was trucking about on the Halfraud's site I found this that might be useful,

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/eng...eze-tester-meg

£1.99