SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-10-17, 12:44 PM   #1
yulaw5110

Default Starter relay issues

Hey guys having an issue with my curvey, bike has sat for a while i started it and heard an odd noise, dam starter still turning , I hit killswitch and still turning put key in off position and key out still turning had to leg it to the shed get tools and disconnect the battery, Figured the relay fused or something and replaced it not long after same again, What you guys think ?
Old 03-10-17, 06:33 PM   #2
yulaw5110

Default Re: Starter relay issues

Sorry i noticed its in wrong section ,sorry admin, Anyone got any ideas
Old 04-10-17, 08:05 AM   #3
ophic
Mega Poster

Clearly it's possessed. Get your nearest Catholic priest to perform an exorcism asap.

Sorry no help but free bump

If it's not the relay, then there must be a short across it.

If you disconnect the battery and reconnect it, does it stop? This would be latching behaviour and could mean a short from the switched power side of the relay to the input.

Do you have a circuit diagram?
Old 04-10-17, 11:41 AM   #4
yulaw5110

it keeps going. I was talking to a mate who is a motorbike elec wizz, he thinks its the alarm fitted
Old 04-10-17, 04:16 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Did I read correctly that you have fitted a replacement relay and still have same problem ? Is anything burnt and shorted on socket that starting relay plugs into ?

If it is same relay re-fitted it sounds like starter relay contacts have welded together, could have badly oxidized while bike standing unused and then when they closed and passed power the heat of bad contact resistance overheated them.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 04-10-17 at 04:21 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-17, 05:38 PM   #6
yulaw5110

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Did I read correctly that you have fitted a replacement relay and still have same problem ? Is anything burnt and shorted on socket that starting relay plugs into ?

If it is same relay re-fitted it sounds like starter relay contacts have welded together, could have badly oxidized while bike standing unused and then when they closed and passed power the heat of bad contact resistance overheated them.
no i got a different replay. i think my mate is right and the alarm is somehow keeping the circuit closed