SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-03-08, 05:32 PM   #1
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Default advice

Ok just got pulled on way home from NW3

fixed penalty for plate

F.p for Yoshi exhaust- but doesnt say not for road use and I was told in good faith when I bought the bike that it was Ok.,, I had all my details and licence and insurance .. will they inform insurance re the can cosliek I said in good faith I was told it was road legal. suppose owness(sp) is onme to confirm it..

and a defect note for my back tyre- he says its illegal..! I dont think it is but surely he wudda done me points and not let me ride if it was illegal>?

confused is me...

so now I got to change my exhaust I guess cos if i get pulled again it willflag up!.. but where can iget it checked to see if it is road legal as I was told so i can carry the confirmation..

how can I get a plate made up when I only just got bike and aint got the V5 in post yet?? so i had one at Mals made up in my ignorance inthe way that you dont need to send info in post. in fact WHERE can I go in and get one - Halfords. (when i got V5) ..

and I must be able to ride the bike to tyre place surely to get new tyre>?? he let me ride home from wales to here.

dont wanna say too much on a open forum just wanted some advice/experience..
Old 30-03-08, 05:35 PM   #2
El Saxo

Default Re: advice

If you got rectification notice for the tyre, then I would imagine when you take it to the tester / examiner or whatever, if the tyre is actually legal then he'll be able to give you documentation to that effect. Did the actually measure the tread depth at the roadside?
Old 30-03-08, 05:39 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

The small plate, I can understand.

The Yoshi, what did he say about it, he should have given you a reason

Back tyre, did he measure the tread depth or did he just glance at it ? Remember you need a minimum of 1mm over 75% of the tyre.

Was it a bike copper or a copper in a car, and you've been out in North Wales havent you ? They have a reputation for not liking bikers...

Plate, to get a legal one you'll need your V5, halfords should be able to sort you out.

Back tyre, I'd just ride it somewhere and get another tyre fitted ASAP. Remember what I told you about 014's being soft and not lasting very long, mine went down hill really quickly and it went bald in the middle damn fast to. So perhaps you've just got caught out ?

Can, depends on why, if its the same as mine, then put the baffle in it and take it somewhere to get your defect notice signed off or just put the standard one back on ( if you got it ) and then do the same, Most MOT places should be able to sign the defect note off for you.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-08, 05:55 PM   #4
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo View Post
If you got rectification notice for the tyre, then I would imagine when you take it to the tester / examiner or whatever, if the tyre is actually legal then he'll be able to give you documentation to that effect. Did the actually measure the tread depth at the roadside?
he didnt measure anythin at all just looked

I jsut rang the tyre fitter in sandbach.. he can put me conti road attacks on tonight !!! if i go over- its 15 mins away . !

they any good? the tyre I mean
Old 30-03-08, 05:58 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Conti's are a bit marmite, either like or hate, not tried them so cant comment.

Whats the front like, if its OK just get another 014 for the back, probably work out cheaper than getting a whole set... otherwise if you want to put your mind at rest get the Conti's they'll be nicer than those fecking 014's are especially with the cacky weather at the mo...

Sent you a PM dont fret about it, its all easy to sort.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-08, 05:59 PM   #6
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
The small plate, I can understand.

The Yoshi, what did he say about it, he should have given you a reason

Back tyre, did he measure the tread depth or did he just glance at it ? Remember you need a minimum of 1mm over 75% of the tyre.

Was it a bike copper or a copper in a car, and you've been out in North Wales havent you ? They have a reputation for not liking bikers...

Plate, to get a legal one you'll need your V5, halfords should be able to sort you out.

Back tyre, I'd just ride it somewhere and get another tyre fitted ASAP. Remember what I told you about 014's being soft and not lasting very long, mine went down hill really quickly and it went bald in the middle damn fast to. So perhaps you've just got caught out ?

Can, depends on why, if its the same as mine, then put the baffle in it and take it somewhere to get your defect notice signed off or just put the standard one back on ( if you got it ) and then do the same, Most MOT places should be able to sign the defect note off for you.
he gimmethe defect note for the tyre and the fixed P for the can and plate..

had my name on the plate so i worry he can google me and see this thread- sure he got better things to do though.. ..

maybe I pm u fizz

so conti road attacks good?
Old 30-03-08, 06:00 PM   #7
MR UKI (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard View Post
he didnt measure anythin at all just looked

I jsut rang the tyre fitter in sandbach.. he can put me conti road attacks on tonight !!! if i go over- its 15 mins away . !

they any good? the tyre I mean
Had them on me 650 Quiff, liked them a lot, but you ride quicker than i ever could , plus you've got the new bike so don't know what they'd be like on that.
Old 30-03-08, 06:06 PM   #8
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR UKI (1) View Post
Had them on me 650 Quiff, liked them a lot, but you ride quicker than i ever could , plus you've got the new bike so don't know what they'd be like on that.
ta..

I dont ride as quick as some

I need make a quick decision he can fit them tonight for me ! £159..

but I dont want to rush in to anyfin he can do me Z6 on wed for £185.
Old 30-03-08, 06:09 PM   #9
MR UKI (1)

Quote:
ta..

I dont ride as quick as some

I need make a quick decision he can fit them tonight for me ! £159..

but I dont want to rush in to anyfin he can do me Z6 on wed for £185.
If you gotta wait for the can to be tested anyway you may as well hold fire. I did like the conti's and would have them again, but your 750 is obviously a very different bike. Did speak to a couple of guys last year on Cat N Fiddle who had them on CBR600s and they rated them if that's any help.
Old 30-03-08, 06:23 PM   #10
cb5_keith

Quote:
I live in sandbach! Is it national tyres at the bottom of the hill in wheelock? I had metzelers fitted there it was a pretty good deal