SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-12-07, 11:00 PM   #1
muffles

Default Oil leaks from the engine

Do these normally require someone to take the engine out, take it apart, and rebuild it?

I've got a slight oil leak on the CBR at the bottom of the engine, it seems to be coming from the join between the sump and the rest of the engine. Assuming the bolts are tightened to the correct torque, is the only way to fix this to take it apart and re-seal (I think there is some sort of sealing paste or something used, which is what would be missing if the bolts were tight enough)?

It's very slight and seems to only happen when I leave the bike on the side stand, i.e. leaning over on the side the leak is coming from. But it's at the bottom of the engine so I'd have thought it'd always be below the oil level - but that's another question which I will investigate tomorrow at the earliest...

Can you get any kind of radweld type stuff for engines perhaps?!
Old 22-12-07, 11:47 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Oil leaks from the engine

I wouldn't trust ANYTHING that claimed to seal engine leaks, snake oils the lot of them.

Basically its split the cases or live with it, I'd live with it unless there was some other reason to be inside the engine.
Old 23-12-07, 12:54 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

if it's the sump, then you'll not need to remove the engine normally, drain the oil, remove the bolts and renew the gasket ( no more than £10 or so) and then re-assemble and refill, it's important to make sure all traces of the old gasket are removed and both surfaces are clean before fitting the new one, but an easy job to do.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-07, 10:27 AM   #4
Lozzo

What Rictus said, CBR engines will allow you to drop the sump pan without removing the engine, you may well have to remove the complete exhaust though. Last one I did was a bit older and the downpipes really restricted working in that area.
Old 23-12-07, 10:41 AM   #5
muffles

I'll double check but pretty sure it's the sump - at least that sounds like it can be fixed relatively easily! I've changed the downpipes on it already so I know how to do that and they should come off easily. I might be able to do it without removing them, depending on how large the sump is (didn't check it out).

I can live with the leak for now, as it only seems to leak when it's left on the side stand!
Old 23-12-07, 10:44 AM   #6
muffles

Btw off topic but it's so much more informative/helpful on this site than the CBR forums! If I'd asked this there I'd probably get told to get a Haynes manual, even if the question has never been asked before...

Maybe I should swap the CBR for another SV!