SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Chain and Sprokets
OME 5 45.45%
Aftermarket (Renthal's etc...) 6 54.55%
Drop a tooth on the front sproket with either of the above? 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-07-03, 10:36 AM   #1
Dynamite

Default Chain and Sprokets!!!

I need new chain and sprokets and need some advice should i just have the OME ones or go for a aftermarket kit and should i drop the front down a tooth?????????????????

Matt
Old 25-07-03, 10:42 AM   #2
Magoo

Matt

Dont drop the front sprocket...if you want to go after market then add two teeth to the back instead...losing one at the front increases chain wear and makes the bike much vibier!

HAve to catch up soon.

Magoo
Old 25-07-03, 10:51 AM   #3
andy

A Renthall rear sprocket looks really good - especially when kept clean (easy with a Scotoiler)
Old 25-07-03, 11:33 AM   #4
Dynamite

phil wot will adding 2 teeth to the rear do?????????????
Old 25-07-03, 11:58 AM   #5
jonboy

Make it go like a freakin' rocket! You'll lose some on the top end though and your fuel consumption will increase slightly too.
Old 25-07-03, 12:52 PM   #6
Magoo

Matt

The general rule and concencus (spelling?) is that losing one tooth on the front sprocket is about the same as gaining three on the back. There are however a few extra considerations:

Increasing the size of the rear sprocket may well mean you need to increase the length of the chain (weight increase negligable)

Increasing the rear sprocket also adds more rotational momentum to the rear wheel hence slower turning (again negligable)

Decreasing the front sprocket increases chain wear due to the tighter circumfrance and also puts more load on the engine and should not really be reduced below 15 teeth

All in all, i have heard that the best bet is to keep the front at 15 and knock the rear up by two. You tend to keep your top end as the SV will actually be able to hit the rev limiter in top gear instead of just with the help of a hill, fuel consumption increasesvery slightly and opening the throttle while sitting on the rear seat will guarentee a painful ****!!!!

Sorry this is long winded but is is the culmination of many reports and questions that I asked along the same lines!

Anyway, hope it helps.
Old 25-07-03, 01:16 PM   #7
Dynamite

how many teeth does the rear have already?
Old 25-07-03, 01:35 PM   #8
Magoo

Cant actually remember but i think it is 42.... may be wrong but give B&C Express a call, they were very helpful and have all the details.
Old 25-07-03, 01:45 PM   #9
weegaz22

svs's had 44 teeth at the back the sv has 45, go for a 46 tooth sprocket
Old 26-07-03, 11:50 AM   #10
Fizzy Fish

Just remember when passing cops/speed cameras that changing the size of the sprocket will set your speedo out slightly