SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: when do you change your bike?
yep, not got any heroblobs left so time to change. R6 here I come! 0 0%
no way! it's far to much fun at the moment. anyway, i'd only get it wrong on the R6. 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-09-03, 12:59 PM   #1
graycat

Default when do you change your bike?

do you reckon people change their bike too soon? I mean, if you're getting your knee down at will, wearing out the heroblobs on your footpegs, getting it sideways for a gigle, is it time to change to something a bit more focused?

or do you keep it and enjoy being at one with the bike?

What would you do?

T.

P.S. ok read it again and realised I was asking 2 questions. edit done
Old 17-09-03, 01:44 PM   #2
Benji

I am not entirely sure how to vote on this one due to the way the question is phrased and the answers, but in my opinion, why should you need to be practically decking out the wing mirrors before you 'justify' buying an R1? I see your point that if you cant use the SV to its full potential then why should you deserve an R1 but to be honest, its not something that would stop me buying my R6 once I have had my fun on the SV, whether or not I can ride it off the rims?

Benji
Old 17-09-03, 02:08 PM   #3
graycat

bugger!!!

tried to edit the poll and it's gone pete tong.

dangerous on a computers = really dangerous on a bike? it's a possible!!

T.
Old 17-09-03, 02:08 PM   #4
Anonymous

well I have had my SV650s for 2 years 3 months and considered changing for the SV1000 when it came out but decided there is still so much more left in my SV. The only reason I would change was if it started to feel too slow. At the moment I can keep up with most people as long as there are lots of corners, I lose out on the straights a bit. My hubby on the other hand has been riding for 4 years and has had a Fazer (9 months) CBR6 (6 months, blew up) CBR6 (9 months) blackbird (18 months) fireblade (had it 2 months). I told him he would keep it until it fell apart, not too long probably. He got it in July, is on 2nd set of tyres and 6000 miles. Obviously has too much time on his hands, not looking after the kids enough me thinks
Old 17-09-03, 04:37 PM   #5
Roob

seriously, no bugger NEEDS an R1 on the road...

I rode my mate's 98 R1 and it was mental!

it had masses of grunt left at 120 (which felt like cruising!). The power was completely addictive although I did fill me shorts when powering out of a roundabout. I could not believe such a small throttle movement could equate to that much thrust!!

later on, pulling out down a feeder lane onto a dual carriageway, the front wheel came up at about 75 in second - absolutely shat meself.

personally speaking, i have no self-restraint and the reason these things happened to me was 'cos i tend to max out any bike i get on, just for the buzz... to see how it compares to the SV.

The SV helps me keep my license (fingers crossed!)

incidentally, the R1 can be ridden comfortably (and slowly) round town.

would have the 2004 gixxer 600/750 though...

http://www.gixxer.com/

yummy! 148 brake from the 750! - 120 from the 600!

madness!
Old 17-09-03, 04:45 PM   #6
Benji

I've never understood the whole, smaller bike/car would save your license? I am much more of a hoolagon on smaller vehicals, I am mental in my Punto but was more chilled out driving bigger cars, the SV seriously insits bad behaviour too

But seriously though, SV's do 0-60 in what time and hit how fast? In fact most bikes do, plenty enough to loose your license on in my opinion, R1 or not.

Benji
Old 17-09-03, 04:50 PM   #7
Roob

true, my 6 points are testament to that, but what i mean is:

if its easy/unstressful to do jail baiting speeds then (possibly) you would be more inclined to do it?

120 on the R1 felt like 80 on the SV!

120 = bye bye license
80 = nothing/possibly 3 pts

ya dig?
Old 17-09-03, 04:55 PM   #8
Benji

Like I side, the SV inspires hoolegon behaivour. What you don't do 120 on your SV?

R1 or SV, 120 is still 120 and I am guilty of it

Benji
Old 17-09-03, 05:07 PM   #9
Moo

I would probably upgrade to one of the 1000 twins more than likely the SV1000S having already got easy access to an inline four bike the girlfriends ZX6R it's good to have a change around on the bikes. I'am of the opinion that getting the heroblobs scraping isn't the be all and end all.
Some advice I was given before I started riding was that you always go slow before fast it's just how quick the middle bit is thats the difference.
Old 17-09-03, 05:16 PM   #10
Roob

120...and more...

anything can inspire hoooooligan behaviour - i used to try/do that burnouts and wheelies on my scooter s'not all 'bout speed, it's all down to the individual IMHO.

like i said i have no self-restraint and i will try and max out anything just to see what it's like

dunno 'bout you but i'm a big chap and behind that small fairing my body is like a sail 120mph drafts hitting me in the chops make me well aware of how fast i'm going, specially over the ton! (get a wobbly heed and everything!)

i used to thrash the **** off my Rover 114 (but that was to keep up with everyone else!!) what a bag of **** that was...