SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-09-18, 08:25 AM   #1
Craigg

Default Gearbox F**ked

Welp, running into work this morning, shifted into 3rd gear, there was a bang, and the engine cut out. shifted into 4th and bump started it and continued on till i got to the next layby.

prognosis, bike still runs, 1st 2nd 4th 5th and 6th still work just fine. it will shift into 3rd gear, but its like being in neutral, nothing there and the bike revs freely.

shifts out of 3rd fine going up the way, but going from 3rd to second results in a horrible bang (like you hadn't clutched it.)

so. how hard is a gearbox change?

half glad half gutted i didn't sell it now, glad that i didn't pass a timebomb onto someone else. gutted that i now have a broken bike
Craigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 09:58 AM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gearbox F**ked

i think you should change your route to work.. lol

first port of call is to drop the oil and see if it is a cog that has given up (lots of metal fragments in oil) as it might be the selector star detent. by and large the SV gearbox is bulletproof but detents have been known to give up.

gearbox is a big job on the SV as its a complete strip down as the block splits vertical. thats two heads, cam chains etc.etc before you even get to splitting the block. its also a full gasket set.

my advice for what its worth. if it is the gearbox then get another engine or sell the bike as a non runner/part it out and cut your losses.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 10:13 AM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

+1 to Bibio's advice. See what's in the oil and if there's lots of metal, then take it from there.

In some cases there is an argument for repairing your current engine rather than buying another used one, but again as Bibs said, an SV strip is a major job. As most SVs are written off in crashes rather than because the engine has died, you're probably better off just sourcing a used motor.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 10:42 AM   #4
Craigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
gearbox is a big job on the SV as its a complete strip down as the block splits vertical. thats two heads, cam chains etc.etc before you even get to splitting the block. its also a full gasket set.
thats what i feared

given that i was looking for a change, i don't think spending money to repair it, and then try and sell it is going to be economical... time to get the calculator out.

perfect fecking timing too, the VFR had intimate relations with the front of an Astra last month.
Craigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 12:29 PM   #5
andy650

Dont you just hate that, when both your bikes end up off the road at the same time.

Bad luck, but I tend to agree, another engine or write the poor bike off.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote