SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-03-08, 07:30 PM   #1
thumper21

Default Tesco sleeping bags???

Has any one ever had the sleeping bag out of tesco for £6, are they any good and do they keep you warm?
Old 29-03-08, 07:47 PM   #2
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tesco sleeping bags???

you get's what you pay for...
Buy one, sleep in it with the lables on, if your warm keep it, if not take it back.

sorted.
Old 29-03-08, 07:58 PM   #3
andyb

It depends what you want it for. if it's for indoor use then should be OK, outdoors I very much doubt it would be that warm.
Old 29-03-08, 08:02 PM   #4
thumper21

Going on a bike charity run at the end of may for breast cancer and mcmillan charity going to be camping round the west coast of scotland over 3 nights, http://www.justgiving.com/breastwayround
Old 29-03-08, 08:10 PM   #5
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper21 View Post
Going on a bike charity run at the end of may for breast cancer and mcmillan charity going to be camping round the west coast of scotland over 3 nights, http://www.justgiving.com/breastwayround
Ooh, good plug!

Even with Chinese parts and labour, a 6 quid sleeping bag will be rubbish

Tiso are doing a 2 season job for 20 sheets (down from 40) at the moment - linky - and there's another one for 15 quid which is rated down (or up!) to 8 degrees so hopefully* good enough for a Scottish May!

* - But probably not...
Old 29-03-08, 08:16 PM   #6
thumper21

Cheers folks, gonna keep ma wee cheap £6 one it will do as an extra layer when am on night shift and trying to sleep during the day, I get VERY cold. Prob pinch one off my mate if he will let me as he goes camping in glen coe and places like that in the middle of the scottish winter, just need to go talk very nicely to him now
Old 29-03-08, 08:50 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper21 View Post
If you're on the ground, the mat is as important as the bag. Unfortunately in my experience there isn't a really cheap way round it.

Best mats I've found are the self inflating jobbies like Thermarest, or equivalents, but they are not cheap. They pack up reasonably small and aren't too heavy.

Probably the cheapest solution is a cheapo inflatable airbed, get one with as many "tubes" as you can, the 4 tube types are not very comfortable I find. It probably won't last all that long but they can be had for a few quid only.
Old 29-03-08, 09:18 PM   #8
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
you get's what you pay for...
indeed..........

probaly be ok in the summer, millets normaly have some good ones on offer
Old 29-03-08, 09:48 PM   #9
FG1

If you get a self inflating mat I can say the ones from Millets are comfy.
I have 2. The XL(thicker) I keep at work for night shifts and the standard is used at home and out. Both are comfy but the XL would be a bit too bulky for travelling. They also do one at about 1.2mtr long which would keep the bulk of the body off the ground and is very travel friendly.
Old 31-03-08, 08:39 AM   #10
Ceri JC

Really cheapo sleeping bags are generally only good for sleeping indoors, or in tents in summer (although if that's all you want them for, they're ideal). As you start to pay more, they can survive colder and colder conditions. I have never slept all night with mine done up all the way (it gets too hot), even up high up in the Swiss Alps, or in the depths of winter. Not bad considering it's over a decade old now and sleeping bags do go 'off' with age as their fibres get crushed down, even if you store them properly.