SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-08-09, 09:50 PM   #11
SV-net

Default Re: Have you been to LA? Can your recommend things to do?

LA is a massive place and I hope that you reach further out than there. A small road trip can yield many rewards from LA you can get to places like Calico the old mine town, Lake Havasu City where London Bridge now sits on the Colorado (lovely place) but only a days worth. I would highly suggest you:-

Day 1:
Roll out of LA heading to Barstow and go shopping there. Its got good shops and no massive crowds to fight with. All the shops you want with all the prices you want too. Head on over i40 and get to Lake Havasu take the tour on the steamer and sample the beers at the brewery. Sleep here, then head off earlyabout 7am) north..

Day 2:
Arrive at Boulder City and go direct to Hoover Dam take the hard hat tour it fantastic. Then drive right into Las vegas and check in somewhere. Walk the strip and see the street shows, amazing.

Day 3:
Enjoy Vegas, be sure to go up Statosphere Tower. If you like it here stay another night or..

Day 4:
Heading back to LA its quite a trip for one hit, if you can make it get over to the sea wherever takes your fancy. If you end up north of LA then the coast road down is superb. Go to the Ventura Harley dealership they are great in there and will treat you like a celebrity. And try to resist unless you must taking the tour bus around H/wood its pants mate.

This is a lot in a short time, but if you have more time you should see these places they are great. If you have more time like 2 weeks the San Fran is a must, and Yosemite well the list goes on and on..... go explore you will love America.

Just dont take a wrong turn and end up with your hire car in Compton ok.

Enjoy.....

Last edited by SV-net; 23-08-09 at 09:52 PM.
Old 23-08-09, 11:02 PM   #12
laMon

Some great advice here, thank you all. I've decided to do the seminar first, meet new like minded people from all over the world, make friends and perhaps go driving up all the way to SF. With all many things along the way mentioned in your posts.

Where's the best place to go swimming (if any)? When I see an ocean I want to go for a dive

LM
Old 23-08-09, 11:18 PM   #13
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by laMon View Post
Some great advice here, thank you all. I've decided to do the seminar first, meet new like minded people from all over the world, make friends and perhaps go driving up all the way to SF. With all many things along the way mentioned in your posts.

Where's the best place to go swimming (if any)? When I see an ocean I want to go for a dive

LM
The ocean there is cold you know that right?

I would leave LA asap its a good forsaken place I hate it probally most of all out of the US. At least in the Mid West and such places you know what to expect, I wouldn't wanna be out alone around there without a gun.

San Fran is nice, do the Altraz Tour make sure you get the audio guide thought its poor without it. Aslo go up to Berkly there are some nice views from up there. Santa Baraba is awesome I liked it there.

I haven't been to the national parks, but I would have gone there if I had the time and money.

If you have money/time hire a bike and ride the costal 101 I aim to do that one day. Its an amazing road, I'll try and dig some photos out of our road trip there its lush. But we did it in cars, not the same.
Old 23-08-09, 11:36 PM   #14
laMon

Ha Bluethunder, as I'm going alone, bike is not the best option, I'm going to do a fly drive with the first 3 days in LA at the seminar. My travel bag would hardly fit on a bike
Old 24-08-09, 07:28 AM   #15
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Although we flew to SF, immigration took 2 minutes. Chap was brand new.

Whatever car type you hire does not mean you know what actual model you will get. Fill out the forms at the desk ( collect a sat-nav. It is a must. Invaluable especially in LA, worth every penny!) Then go down to the garage and just ask to get what you want.

We got a 4litre Mustang convertible with 500miles on the clock just cos we asked, "Anything else?" when showed some nasty Chrysler. My workmate waited a coupla hours and got a Dodge Hemi truck.

Service nearly everywhere is fantastic (tips or not) and made me despair at the complete lack of here.

Only spent one day in LA over 19 nights. Around Hollywood and Highland is nuts. Loved it. You will be able to see when it turns into the "bad" bit.

As folk have said head east for Joshua tree National Park out in the desert.

Or head north for Big Sur/Pacific Coast Highway. We did SantaCruz to SantaMonica easily in a day with plenty of stops. Who said Yanks don't have any twisties?!

Have a good trip.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-09, 07:49 AM   #16
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
I'm off to Los Angeles for a 2 day seminar at the end of September. Because it's so far I've decided to make a holiday of it and explore the West Coast. Has anyone been around the area, can you recommend how to get through airports quickly, car rentals, hotels etc? Knowing what not to do in a country is always a good advice. I've never been to the US.

Thank you in advance
I went ehre a few years ago, and we done one of these all day tours.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-09, 02:04 PM   #17
SV650S_DUB

Well laMon if you fancy something mild/vaguely cultural in LA, if that's not contradictory behaviour , then the La Brea Tar Pits is a good museum. It's bang in the middle of the city so handy to get to.

http://www.tarpits.org/info/visit.html

That general area of LA, "The Miracle Mile" is worth having a stroll around in anyways if you fancy a wander about.
Old 24-08-09, 02:12 PM   #18
Viney
Mega Poster

If you drive to SF, then up Highway 1 baby! I done this years ago (On the same trip) Stopped at Monteray and some place i cant remember, but it was fantastic.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-09, 03:21 PM   #19
laMon

I'm all booked now, will leave LA as soon as, that's Sunday by noon, I bet I meet loads of like minded people at the seminar. I'm flying back form SF. Can't wait, I need a holiday!
Old 24-08-09, 03:25 PM   #20
Sosha

Quote:
...will leave LA as soon as...
There's a film there somewhere...

Doh