SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-08-14, 01:36 PM   #1
SV650S_DUB

Default Battery charger - connection / leads question

Afternoon all.

I have an Oxford Maximiser, but I no longer have the fused waterproof connector that allows me to hook it to my bikes battery with just a click-in /click-out fitting. This link shows the product I'm trying to describe: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/prod...connectors.jpg

Does anyone know if there are other brands, maybe Optimate, or even some generic products that can be used to link an Oxford Maximiser to a bike battery in a handy manner?

Thanks for any insight/tips.
Old 15-08-14, 01:59 PM   #2
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Battery charger - connection / leads question

Yep, I always forget about them when selling a bike too.

They're industry standard connectors so you could probably make one up from your local Maplins or whatever, but the complete units are available on ebay etc cheap enough so it's hardly worth the trouble. For example, this one.

EDIT: Check the pictures carefully, Optimate have used 2 or 3 different connectors but I think this is the one you're after

Last edited by TamSV; 15-08-14 at 02:01 PM.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-14, 02:23 PM   #3
aesmith

The connector is sold by model shops and suppliers under the name "Tamiya Connector" should be only a pound or so for the connector itself. I don't really see the need for a fuse.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-14, 06:58 AM   #4
rp16v

I have a fuse on my optimate it blew/overheated over night went out next morning and battery was compleatley drained poss due to negetive still being a solid connection
now looking at a new unit aparentley the halfords optimisers are prety good iv been given one just need a new adaptor for bike connection
Old 16-08-14, 08:03 AM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Battery charger - connection / leads question

You can't drain a battery with a single connection. The connector lead should most definitely be fused. Due the nature of the cable and its connection directly to the battery, any even slight damage to the cable is a real fire risk. As in any situation, the fuse should be as close the battery positive terminal as is possible.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-14, 12:58 PM   #6
rp16v

Ah ok may well just stick some new conector blocks on the optimate as the one at current is prety slack
Been thinking iv had a current draw for a while riped out the 10yo dataool imobiliser today to remove a possibility