SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-03-18, 10:23 AM   #11
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: London not to include motorcycle in it's traffic congestion strategy

I was expressing a view. (Some) Pedestrians are a menace! Bring back the Green Cross Code!
Old 29-03-18, 11:34 AM   #12
Talking Heads

Default Re: London not to include motorcycle in it's traffic congestion strategy

Anyone remember Tommy...?
Those deaf, dumb and (peripherally) blind kids sure surf a mean internet....

Head down, both hands in front, eyes focused on a small screen, ear plug delivered music drowning out ambient sound, its a wonder so few of them are killed.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-18, 12:01 PM   #13
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post

Head down, both hands in front, eyes focused on a small screen, ear plug delivered music drowning out ambient sound, its a wonder so few of them are killed.
It is mainly down to drivers and riders that are paying attention that saves their lives, I have 'saved' the life of more than one pedestrian that has wandered straight into road in front of me while totally distracted by phone and music - not sure autonomous vehicles will be so understanding (especially after watching footage of Uber pedestrian fatality in Tempe, Arizona about a week ago, vehicle had time to swerve or brake or both but did neither), even after the collision it carried on - the first AV hit and run so far).

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...ad-uber-driver

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03...s-car-program/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 29-03-18 at 01:36 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-18, 12:32 PM   #14
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
I was expressing a view. (Some) Pedestrians are a menace! Bring back the Green Cross Code!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
It is mainly down to drivers and riders that are paying attention that saves their lives, I have 'saved' the life of more than one pedestrian that has wandered straight into road in front of me while totally distracted by phone and music - not sure autonomous vehicles will be so understanding (especially after watching footage of Uber pedestrian fatality in Tempe, Arizona about a week ago, vehicle had time to swerve or brake or both but did neither), even after the collision it carried on - the first AV hit and run so far).
Which wasn't taken into account in the case of the cyclist who killed a pedestrian. Ok, he was 99.9% at fault for not having a brake on his fixed wheel bike, just relying on him using the rear wheel as a brake, but we don't know if the victim just stepped off the pavement whilst looking at her phone?

Pedestrians need to switch on
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-18, 01:20 PM   #15
Red Herring
Mega Poster

If we are serious about protecting pedestrians we would consider waist high railings along the sides of all the roads in our town centres with gaps only at specific crossing points. They would look awful but in the long term probably work out a whole lot cheaper than dealing with casualties and it would help keep traffic moving.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-18, 02:06 PM   #16
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
If we are serious about protecting pedestrians we would consider waist high railings along the sides of all the roads in our town centres with gaps only at specific crossing points. They would look awful but in the long term probably work out a whole lot cheaper than dealing with casualties and it would help keep traffic moving.
But would probably increase cyclist KSIs as there would be nowhere to go at junctions to avoid left turning HGVs. Oh a bit like now really.
Old 29-03-18, 02:12 PM   #17
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Which wasn't taken into account in the case of the cyclist who killed a pedestrian. Ok, he was 99.9% at fault for not having a brake on his fixed wheel bike, just relying on him using the rear wheel as a brake, but we don't know if the victim just stepped off the pavement whilst looking at her phone?

Pedestrians need to switch on
From the reports I read, that's exactly what happened. He had no time to do anything. Unfortunately even if he'd had time, he still couldn't have as he had no brakes, so they threw the book at him. And his attitude didn't help much.

I'd rather ride through flock of Yorkshire sheep than London pedestrians.

Possibly coincidence but I've had a few close shaves with Chinese tourists as well.
Old 29-03-18, 03:15 PM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Unfortunately too many pedestrians and cyclists seem to think highway code does not apply to them, they are under the impression that if they have a mix up with a vehicle that the vehicle will always be a fault.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-18, 03:22 PM   #19
ophic
Mega Poster

Cyclists perhaps. Many pedestrians just don't think at all.
Old 29-03-18, 05:32 PM   #20
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
But would probably increase cyclist KSIs as there would be nowhere to go at junctions to avoid left turning HGVs. Oh a bit like now really.
Perhaps if cyclists were a little less inclined to go up the nearside of an HGV that was indicating left they wouldn't need to bail out...... I'm sure there are occasions when some idiot of an HGV driver overtakes a cyclist and then attempts to turn left across them, but such individuals are few and far between compared to the number of cyclists that seem to consider the left hand side of the road theirs and theirs alone and anyone wishing to use it must give way to them under all circumstances.

I was trying to turn left at a roundabout last week and every time I had an opening from the right I couldn't move because of the succession of cyclists that continued to make their way up my nearside, despite an array of nearside indicators and my front wheels being turned to the left. In the end I simply moved slowly forwards, blocking the traffic on the roundabout and eventually taking two of the cyclists left with me, which for some reason they didn't seem to appreciate.......
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote