SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 27-02-11, 11:58 AM   #1
skithepowder

Default Best riding roads in Wales?

I'm planning a 2 or 3 day trip to Wales shortly with a few friends, we are all new riders so don't know many good riding roads yet. Can anyone recommend a few of the best in Wales?

Cheers!
Old 27-02-11, 07:06 PM   #2
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: Best riding roads in Wales?

What part of Wales are you going to ?
Old 27-02-11, 08:44 PM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Take the A4212 out of Bala then after about 7 or 8 miles turn right on the B4391 for Ffestiniog. Great road, very demanding and rewarding in equal measure.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-11, 10:38 PM   #4
Ed

...or, carry straight on on the A4212 towards the Grumpy Old Sod garage at Trawsfynydd where you can fuel up, turn right and go into Porthmadog - this is a fabulous road. The downhill twisty stretch is particularly good, FFS don't go too fast cos the bends are very tight. Into Porthmadog (the town's a bit of a disappointment), come back via the toll bridge at Penrhyndeudraeth headed for Harlech, and then down to Barmouth. This is the closest we get to a West Coast Highway, it's just terrific. And then out of Barmouth to Dolgellau, lovely twisty but fast road. You can see round most of the corners, watch out for the 30 zone after a few miles, there's often a mobile camera there.

It's all good really
Old 27-02-11, 11:06 PM   #5
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I love that bit of road to Barmouth from Dolgellau Ed. Unfortunately there are usually any number of dozy sods doing 35mph along there. They only do it to spoil my fun you know!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-11, 11:34 PM   #6
sv4me
Mega Poster

It looks like on google streetview just by Caerdeon, the camera cars getting attacked by a big, green monster

Screwed if i'm going down there!
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-11, 10:17 AM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
...The downhill twisty stretch is particularly good, FFS don't go too fast cos the bends are very tight.

Link up this bit and Gary's run to FFestiniog (on the B4391) by turning left at the end of the B4391 along a very up/down/twisty section of the A470 to join the A487 at the top of the downhill twisty bit.

To get to the A4212 mentioned above you could do the great B4391 through the Tanat valley from the south. From the west, the B5105/B4501 from Ruthin to join the A4212.

A taster of the B5105...

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-11, 10:25 AM   #8
Telford_Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I love that bit of road to Barmouth from Dolgellau Ed. Unfortunately there are usually any number of dozy sods doing 35mph along there. They only do it to spoil my fun you know!
I have to agree with Ed but i cant decide which way up this road is best! I think maybe if u ride it into bala its a tad batter as you get better views of the lake and mountain an it feels a big more of a forrestey road

feel free to join us on out 1day blast to wales on 7/3/11 as we are most likely to do some of these roads
Old 28-02-11, 05:11 PM   #9
Telford_Tim

ps my fingers are too fat to update via my iphone LOL
Old 28-02-11, 06:43 PM   #10
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telford_Tim View Post
I have to agree with Ed but i cant decide which way up this road is best! I think maybe if u ride it into bala its a tad batter as you get better views of the lake and mountain an it feels a big more of a forrestey road

feel free to join us on out 1day blast to wales on 7/3/11 as we are most likely to do some of these roads
Eh Think you have your roads mixied up mate. We will ride into Bala over the Berwyns, ie from Oswestry to Llynclys on the A483 and take a right at Llynclys onto the B roads, which eventually bring you up that whacking great hill, over the top, and down through the trees and the hairpins.

From Barmouth we will use the A496 to D'au... poss has the edge headed west to Barmouth but I like it both ways, so to speak

As for 'most likely to do some of those roads' - nah, we'll stick to the A55