SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-06-15, 11:02 AM   #1
Terry Lee

Default Stowable jack

I wish I could say this was my idea, alas, it is not. I saw something similar to this at a motorcycle show this spring. The concept was intriguing and the cost was unreasonable. I came home and cranked a similar one out in about 45 minutes. It wasn't perfect and had some potential nasty pinch points. The original Youtube video is here.
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Version II, still unpainted, but fully adjustable with a lever for some mechanical advantage and to keep soft parts away from the pinch point. The velcro strap is to lock the front brake lever so the bike won't roll and functions as a storage aid.

A nut is welded onto the end of the square tube with lots of filler and then profiled with a hand grinder.

So in about 30 seconds, you can lock the brake...

...and raise the rear wheel off the ground.

It fits easily in the rear compartment.
Old 15-06-15, 11:35 AM   #2
stuartb

Default Re: Stowable jack

Nice work. Are you going to be making any to sell?
Old 15-06-15, 11:46 AM   #3
Terry Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
Nice work. Are you going to be making any to sell?
No, this is just for my use. I found the item that I shamelessly copied. I think I have made some minor improvements. The lever on my version works very well. Here's a link to a review of the original unit.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...e-jack-review/
Old 15-06-15, 01:22 PM   #4
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Yours connects to the bike better and has a way more stable looking foot. Nice work.
Old 15-06-15, 02:52 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

Terry. would you mind me using your 'minor improvements' to make these up. i'm in the position to knock these out if people are wanting them.

i seen these ages ago and thought there's a good idea but never got round to it as i never seen a market here on the org.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-15, 02:59 PM   #6
Terry Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
Terry. would you mind me using your 'minor improvements' to make these up. i'm in the position to knock these out if people are wanting them.

i seen these ages ago and thought there's a good idea but never got round to it as i never seen a market here on the org.
I have no issue at all. If you have any questions, ask away. I have not yet purchased/built a true track stand or the matching pins that thread into the swing arm. As depicted, I just used a SS bolt and a matching divot in the jack. I't secure and won't slip out.
Old 15-06-15, 03:06 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'm in two minds as to which way to go, either a swinging L bracket or the bolt method. the L bracket would mean that you could use it for other people bikes as well just in case.
Old 15-06-15, 03:09 PM   #8
Terry Lee

Quote:
i'm in two minds as to which way to go, either a swinging L bracket or the bolt method. the L bracket would mean that you could use it for other people bikes as well just in case.
Or make it both ways with an L bracket insert.
Old 15-06-15, 03:13 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

that means extra fabrication.. lol.

i just had a thought. instead of the hight adjuster at the bottom being a screw thread i could make the top hight adjustable via holes like axle stands and use the lever as the pin. with the lever i would put a stop on the main shaft and an R clip through a hole at the back.
Old 15-06-15, 03:20 PM   #10
Terry Lee

Quote:
that means extra fabrication.. lol.

i just had a thought. instead of the hight adjuster at the bottom being a screw thread i could make the top hight adjustable via holes like axle stands and use the lever as the pin. with the lever i would put a stop on the main shaft and an R clip through a hole at the back.
Just keep in mind that the closer your lever is to the pivot, the less oomph required. Something about first class levers???