SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-07-06, 04:18 PM   #21
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfr400
Al through having the genius that was Colin Chapman in your pit helped a bit
Erh just a tad.

Lotus 25 - First Monoque F1 car
Lotus 49 - First car to use the engine as a stressed chassis member ( Ford DFV )
Lotus 79 - First car to fully exploit ground effect properly.

BRM developed ground effect in the 60's IIRC but they fired their designed Peter Warr IIRC who went to lotus.

Lotus also developed Active ride.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-06, 04:21 PM   #22
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
Lotus also developed Active ride.
And what might that be? A system that actually has an active driver?
Old 19-07-06, 04:25 PM   #23
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca
Best thing they could go to F1 would be ban the wings, less need to stay back cause the airflow gets disrupted, and make the race shorter with no pitstops...
Dont quite agree about the pitstops. They should ban refuelling but allow tyre changes.

Agreed but its not enough. Also they need to

Ban Electronic Driver Aids. everything all of it.
Bring back big slick tyres.
Allow the engine to produce more power than the chassis can take. Also have the equivalency what no so you could run a turbo and bring back the flame spitting spectacle of the turbo era.
Manual Gear change.
Maybe ban carbon brakes to.

However I still reckon that Schumacher, Alonso, Raikonen would be at the front. Personally I think they are still the best drivers.

I dont care if it means we dont get new technology on our roads cars. Or that F1 is supposed to be the pinncale of Motorsport technology wise.

I want to see close racing and cars sliding around on the limit and driver skill being the most important thing.

I think its sad that so much electronics is coming into Moto GP. I can see it going the way of F1 if they dont do something about it.

Old 19-07-06, 04:33 PM   #24
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Quote:
I think its sad that so much electronics is coming into Moto GP. I can see it going the way of F1 if they dont do something about it.
Sad to say its the way with everything, its too hard to police...
Prime example of electrical trickery in bikes that couldn't be proved in recent years was Troy bayliss' Ducati at Silverstone in the wet (WSB). The bikes were supposed to cut out when they landed on their sides (for safety reasons) and he crashed twice, and the bike kept going...
Honda put a complaint in and when they checked the bike in the pit lane it strangely cut out every time they put it on its side... But not when he was racing HMMMMMMMMM!!!

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-06, 05:10 PM   #25
duffbattye

I saw a grand prix a while back - silverstone. It was awful - I saw no overtaking in the whole race. I didn't have a clue who was winning or not. The crowd was pretty unfriendly and sooo quiet - none of the warmth of a bike meet.

It's also so overpriced

Even club bike racing is a better day out and far more exciting to watch

duff
Old 19-07-06, 05:32 PM   #26
Anonymous

Quote:
BRM developed ground effect in the 60's IIRC but they fired their designed Peter Warr IIRC who went to lotus.
Err....I think Tony Rudd was the Chief Engineer who left BRM to go to Lotus. Peter Warr might have come from BRM but was never (AFAIR) Lotus's Design Chief - he was Chunky's Team Manager - more so after said owner took less and less direct interest following the Lotus 88 affair. The real quiet design genius at Lotus was Maurice Phillippe who took Chunky's concepts and made them real. A clever guy.

But then, I've probably got that all wrong!!!
Old 19-07-06, 05:34 PM   #27
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Ockx
But then, I've probably got that all wrong!!!
I suspect its probaly me thats wrong. I always get those two mixed up.

Old 19-07-06, 05:39 PM   #28
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

had a quick google. Turned up this.

http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cref-11720.html

Old 19-07-06, 08:30 PM   #29
Gazza77

Best idea to encourage overtaking would be to make all pitstops a compulsory 30 seconds long (stationary). That would mean no advantage gained trying to be clever on fuel strategy and consequently mean the only way to get past the car in front would be to drive faster!

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-06, 08:35 PM   #30
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza77
Best idea to encourage overtaking would be to make all pitstops a compulsory 30 seconds long (stationary). That would mean no advantage gained trying to be clever on fuel strategy and consequently mean the only way to get past the car in front would be to drive faster!
I like the pitstops I like the drama of dashing in watching the mechanics f*ck something up as the occasionally do and then watching the utter chaos as they try and sort it out.

IMHO it would be better to make the cars start with a full tank of fuel that must last them till the end of the race without refueling. That way it would remove all the rubbish about fuel strategy completely. But still allow pit stops for tyres. How dull was last year watching them refuel and fiddle with tyre pressures.