SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-01-07, 03:00 PM   #1
hoppy34

Default cigarette lighter

Hi all,

I would like to try and add a cigarette lighter socket to my 2006 SV650S. Mainly because I want to add a GPS and the battery will only last for 2 hours if I dont plug it in.

Also I thought this would also be a good idea to plug the compressor in to pump the tyres up too!

I am not planning on trying to light a fag when riding a long!

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this? does the SV have a accessory socket?

cheers

Dave
Old 03-01-07, 03:03 PM   #2
netsurfer

Optimate do an accessory socket kit, http://www.gear4bikes.com/acatalog/B..._Chargers.html

Check out "M79-DINSOCK - Optimate 3 & 3SP & Accumate Accessory Socket "

Note the gauge of wire would probably not be heavy enough to drive a cigarette lighter, so dont try!

HTH

Pete
Old 03-01-07, 03:09 PM   #3
Baph

I've done just this to my K6 How handy is that? (Well, ok, I went a step further & put in a system where I can easily swap out the cig lighter for any other socket I like, but still).

The way I did it, was to run from the ignition through the cig socket (centre is positive btw if you're unsure), and to a bolt into the frame as ground.

Take out yer fuse box, see the thick orange wire going in the bottom of it? That there is the main feed to the ignition barrel. Those spare holes next to it, are actually connected to it, so I soldered in to the back of the fuse box.

Under the seat, as you look at the bike as if you'd be sat on it, there's some bolts holding the fairing on to the side, just in front of the battery. Excellent place for an eyelet if you ask me. Straight through the fairing to the framework.

This way, the cig socket is ONLY powered when the ignition is on, and there's little danger of flattening your batter (unless the drain on the circuit is higher than the energy put in the battery when charging). It's also pretty handy that it's already fused, thanks to the ignition fuse.

HTH.
Old 03-01-07, 03:11 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Did you hear the one about the guy who turned his petrol cap into an ashtray?

Boom Boom.

Coat
Old 03-01-07, 03:21 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Re: cigarette lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy34
Also I thought this would also be a good idea to plug the compressor in to pump the tyres up too!
How lazy is that!!

Its easy enough to get a socket from somewhere like maplins and wire it up. I used to have one under the seat (Its still there i think un connected) to inflate my airbed, and my mates iirc, when at bike rallies! Also to chage my phone. All id say is make sure you put a fuse in there for saftey sake.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 03:38 PM   #6
thor

Just remeber you'll get some feed back in the sound if you decide to power an ipod from it.
Old 03-01-07, 04:04 PM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Just remeber you'll get some feed back in the sound if you decide to power an ipod from it.
Not if you fit a suppressor to it (The lighter socket) available from Halfwits
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 07:52 PM   #8
Heed

I'll be adding a ciggy lighter under the seat of my curvey over winter as a just in case measure. If anyone got any wiring tips for a curvey please feel free to post them /PM me. I'm pretty good with a soldering iron and a multimeter so it shouldn't be too much hassle.

Found an ideal lighter on eBay for stowing under the seat. Small and made to be on a fly lead.

Linky
Old 03-01-07, 10:27 PM   #9
BILLY

Fitted one to mine I use it for charging the battery and also for pumping up the air bed when I go to bike rallies. It's located under the pillion seat
Old 03-01-07, 10:32 PM   #10
svrash

slightly of topic...i'm having problems with my cig lighter rusting, it wont work properly but the multi meter gives a good reading, would a coat of WD-40 or ACF50 be a good idea or a fire hazard? I do actually use the lighter part, when i lose my lighter or its to windy to use one