SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-06-08, 09:31 AM   #11
ArtyLady

Default Re: A sad start to the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I think they can if they have adequate lights and they also are supposed to have a flashing orange light due to the speed they travel.........but they never do and are a complete danger when on the road, especially in treacherous condition where visibility is poor anyway.
Cars are a danger in the road when they dont look out for anyone including pedestrians and cyclists

The other day we were in the car and my 'ol man was driving - stopped to let a mum with buggy and too small kids across the road (on a housing estate bear in mind) when two Chelsea tractors who could see over the top of our little car over took us driving very fast! - while she was in the road trying to cross!!!! grrr these people should be banned from driving
Old 03-06-08, 09:32 AM   #12
ArtyLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs24_7 View Post
Don't worry im opening up an old peoples home just for the orgers!
I'll be first in the queue with my zimmer
Old 03-06-08, 10:10 AM   #13
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooger View Post
yes, in the gutter

They've got to be allowed on the road , what if there wasn't a dropped kerb to allow them to get back on the pavement?
The other ones that can be difficult to see are recumbent bicycles (doesn't mean you can run them over, surprisingly )

Let's be careful out there [/Hill St Blues mode]
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 10:26 AM   #14
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
They've got to be allowed on the road , what if there wasn't a dropped kerb to allow them to get back on the pavement?
The other ones that can be difficult to see are recumbent bicycles (doesn't mean you can run them over, surprisingly )

Let's be careful out there [/Hill St Blues mode]
Its not that they shouldnt be on the road, everyone has a right to the road, its the fact they blatantly ignore the rules in place which allow them on the road.

They are supposed to by law have headlight, brake lights, a horn, indicators, insurance amongst other things and they never do.

I'n September 2000 a woman in London was convicted of riding an electrically propelled scooter on the road without insurance. The case was subject to appeal to Crown Court and the High Court. On 10th July 2002 in the case Letitia Winter v DPP the High Court held that the scooter, despite having tiny pedals fitted to the front wheel, could not benefit from the exemption for electrically assisted cycles and upheld the conviction'.
Old 03-06-08, 10:53 AM   #15
Ed

It's a very sad day when people rely on this sort of litigation to get themselves off a dangerous or careless driving charge when it must be obvious (well, from what ooger says) that the bloke was there. If the driver had slowed down and done what most people would do (taken avoiding action, muttered obscenities about what the hell was the damn thing in the road in the first place, isn't the pavement wide enough etc, accelerated away) it would have taken all of 15 - 20 seconds and everyone would be happy. Instead, there was a collision.
Old 03-06-08, 10:59 AM   #16
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
It's a very sad day when people rely on this sort of litigation to get themselves off a dangerous or careless driving charge when it must be obvious (well, from what ooger says) that the bloke was there. If the driver had slowed down and done what most people would do (taken avoiding action, muttered obscenities about what the hell was the damn thing in the road in the first place, isn't the pavement wide enough etc, accelerated away) it would have taken all of 15 - 20 seconds and everyone would be happy. Instead, there was a collision.
Is it not dangerous driving to drive in heavy rain without lights that you are required to have by law.

It works both ways.

It was bad weather, with presumably poor visiblity, would there have been an accident in the first place if the scooter had met the legal requirements of having lights fitted.

I predict if it had been a scruffy teenager on a minimoto that wasnt registered and had no lights like the law requires the discussion would be going a different way lol.
Old 03-06-08, 11:25 AM   #17
MiniMatt

I suspect, tho legal beagles will correct me if wrong, that whether the old guy in the scoot had any right to be on the road is completely irrelevant to the case of the guy in the car failing to spot a road hazard due to lack of attention, lack of obedience to rules of the road, and inappropriate driving for the conditions. If you'll remember there was the woman who got sent to clink for a spell a while back for running down (and killing) a cyclist whilst she was texting; the fact that the cyclist had just run a red light was a seperate matter.
Old 03-06-08, 11:27 AM   #18
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Good on you for offering yourself as witness, too many people don't bother!!!
As for the idiot driver, I saw something very similar a few years back with a woman on a pushbike. The lights on pushbikes aren't very good, but she was on the road legally and was hospitalised because of someone not paying attention. It's drivers like that that can end up killing people like us because they are not looking! Don't really care if the Old guy should have been on the road or not.......doesn't excuse lack of observation!
I hope the old man is ok and while he may have done the wrong thing, the car driver is probably feeling like ****, so I hope he's ok too and has learned his lesson!