SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 28-03-08, 06:09 PM   #1
FG1

Default First track day advice

A mate of mine has been given a track day at Snetterton for his birthday by his girlfriend. Now, as I am a good mate of his and he has nobody to go with, his girlfriend has also paid for me to go with him.
I am not 100% about doing a track day but the consensus seems to be that all will be good and I will enjoy it.
I am a bit apprehensive about the day and want to make sure that I don't leave anything to chance.
So, I call upon the mass knowledge of the 'org to pass on as many tips and hints as possible.
This is the day we are booked in for:
http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/sn...ProductID=3906
Old 28-03-08, 06:13 PM   #2
ASM-Forever

Default Re: First track day advice

Jammy git.
Old 28-03-08, 06:19 PM   #3
mister c
Mega Poster

First trackday you ever do will fill you with apprehension. Don't worry about it too much, dont try & race your mates (if you are on track with them) Go at your own pace and learn the track you will find that you will get faster as the day goes on because you will start to use the racing lines.
If the tuition is free, dont think you will be a wuss if you let them take you out. The last day I did at Oulton I could overtake a lad on an R6 on my CB at the beginning of the day, by the end of it I had no chance of catching him.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-08, 06:21 PM   #4
Bear

Only go as fast as you are happy, Concentrate on one corner at a time to get bang on, then move to the next. Don't try to be fast, try to be smooth and fast comes on its own. Put new tyres on if yours are square or knackered, 'cos then you get a whole tyres life worth of toasted chicken strips to show off...

Oh, and the perenial advice of Mr Sid Squid also comes in handy: Don't crash!
Old 28-03-08, 06:44 PM   #5
Jester666

That last bit'll be the bit you forgot about last time then?
Old 28-03-08, 06:48 PM   #6
rigor

Hmmm, advice for Snett.

Right Right Long Straight Left Right Right Right Right Right Left Straight

HTH

Seriously though. Check your bike beforehand (with time to fix any problems), as although a track day isn't going to break a bike, it can be harder on one than normal road riding. Drink plenty of fluids during the day, and just enjoy it!
Old 28-03-08, 08:28 PM   #7
FG1

Thanks for the advice so far. I know (hope) that I will ride within my limits and keep in shiny side up.
Old 28-03-08, 08:42 PM   #8
tomjones2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
Drink plenty of fluids during the day, and just enjoy it!
Very good point, track riding is hard work. Energy drink can be a plan.

Also ask the instuctors to show you the way round the track, they will teach you loads and go at your pace.

Also on track days you are responsible for what is going on ahead of you and not behind you, fold in your mirrors and dont do sholder checks.

Oh yeah, especially at snet tape over your speedo ... 120,130,135 oh **** corner.
Old 28-03-08, 09:06 PM   #9
Stig

The best advice I can give is...

Stay at home and give me your ticket. It'll save you the worry of forgetting something or doing something wrong. You know it makes sense.
Old 28-03-08, 09:15 PM   #10
FG1

Si, why didn't I think of that. I would give the day away but that just wouldn't be fair to my mate now would it........