SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-06-08, 10:03 AM   #1
arc123

Default Snowdon

I'm heading down to Wales on Friday, and plan to set off early and stop at Sonwdon on the way down, and walk/clamber to the summit

Never done it before, so anybody got any tips on routes, time required, do's/don'ts etc etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andy
arc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 10:31 AM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Snowdon

Time to get from Leicester to Snowdon and tips on the ride?

Or tips on the route up Snowdon?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 10:33 AM   #3
arc123

hmmm should have probably been a little more specific here.....!

Tips for routes UP Snowdon. I'm travelling in the car
Old 03-06-08, 10:40 AM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

So... how much hill walking you done? What kind of footwear? What kind of waterproofs? How are you with a map and compass? How fit are you? How much time do you have? Ohh and same questions regards your companions.

Not trying to be disparaging, but it's no good recommending a long or challenging route if it is not suitable. Similarly a route that is too easy might disappoint.

BTW you cannot use the train to / from the summit at the moment as they are re-building the summit cafe / station, so it only goes halfway. (just in case that was part of the plan)

Old 03-06-08, 11:15 AM   #5
arc123

Quote:
So... how much hill walking you done? What kind of footwear? What kind of waterproofs? How are you with a map and compass? How fit are you? How much time do you have? Ohh and same questions regards your companions.

Not trying to be disparaging, but it's no good recommending a long or challenging route if it is not suitable. Similarly a route that is too easy might disappoint.
Not disparaging at all LP, as I said, never done it before so didn't really know what questions to ask, so you're being helpful

3 of us doing it, none of us have really done hill walking before, but are all pretty fit (play plenty of sports, and do cycling/swimming etc). We have all afternoon to do it - plan to set off from Leicester at 6am, get to campsite to set up (which is beyond Snowdon I believe), and hopefully start Snowdon at about midday.

Clothing wise, I have walking boots, but not sure about my companions..... Same with water proofs, I have but not sure if my companions do.......

Can you suggest a couple of routes, maybe one that is a bit more 'easy going' and one that is a bit more challenging?? Map reading and compass work, I have never done, so maybe a route that doesn't require this??

We weren't planning on using the railway anyway......

Thanks for your help...

Andy
Old 03-06-08, 11:33 AM   #6
arc123

Bit more info....

we're camping at a place salled 'Shell Island' (Llanbedr, Gwynedd). So could either stop at Sonwdon on the way down, and then head to camp, or vice versa. Would probably be good to have one of the routes to the summit that is on the side nearer to where we are staying....... possibly.....

I'm just looking on google maps now to try and work out what would be best/most logical, but any advice would be welcomed...

Andy
Old 03-06-08, 12:07 PM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Well for a start you are probably best setting up camp then going to Snowdon, since coming from Leicester, Snowdon is a bit of a detour on the way to Shell Island.

After that you will want to climb from the West of Snowdon. I would suggest you look at the Snowdon Ranger route and/or the Rhyd Du route. Both are on the A4085 and can be combined for a circular route. It is a long walk, probably 7 hours - but I have no idea of your pace. I would not set off much after 12:00, to allow time for stops / getting lost / general faff. You have to be off the hill before dark.

These routes are not too steep, reasonably well marked but long(-ish) as a consequence. If you want to combine these routes into a circular route, leave the car at where you intend to descend and take the steam train to the start of your route (or a bus) if the times suit.

Make sure you leave a route card and expected time of return with a responsible person and also call them when you are off the hill. If you are running late but OK, let them know there is no need to get mountain rescue out . Take heed of the weather report that is posted at the start of the major paths (so will be one at your chosen path), especially conditions at the summit - remember it can be lovely in the valley but horizontal rain on the tops!

Oh and get a 1:250000 Ordnance Survey map of the mountain, to help find your way. Have fun