SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-07-14, 10:13 AM   #1
ollies41

Smile Starting out

Hi group! Just to introduce myself really. I've been riding for 12 months on a YBR125 custom and just passed my A - Module 1 last week. Taking part 2 next week. I've been looking at which bike to move up to and it kept coming back to an SV650. I saw one a few weeks ago that had been traded in locally and fell in love with it, so took the plunge yesterday and went and bought it. Not taken it out yet, but everything just felt right about it, and its a black 51 reg. I think they look gorgeous. The training and bike I've been doing my tests on has been a Yamaha XJ6, and that feels a lot bulkier and heavier than the SV650. I'm only 5 foot 2 so needed something I can touch the floor on. I'm really looking forward to taking it out for the first time, but nervous. Anyway, I hope to get some words of wisdom from the experts here if need be. Look forward to being here!!
Old 06-07-14, 10:58 AM   #2
RedTop

Default Re: Starting out

Hi Ollies and Welcome.

Congratulations on passing the Mod1 and good luck for Mod2. The SV is a great bike and I'm sure you'll have fun on it.
Old 06-07-14, 11:38 AM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

welcome to the madhouse.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-14, 12:35 PM   #4
drewthejew94

will you have to be restricted?
Old 06-07-14, 02:05 PM   #5
zxmark9r

Hi and Welcome.
My wife started off with the YBR125, passed her test and has now had her SV650 for about six weeks and she absolutely loves it

We lowered the bike by changing the rear suspension link arms, dropping the forks through the yolks a bit and trimming the seat down.
If you want to do any of these mods, there is lots of info on the forum.

Mark
Old 06-07-14, 02:47 PM   #6
ollies41

I won't have to be restricted, and I managed to wangle the dealer to lower the bike for me and alter the angle of the handlebars to make it a shorter reach for me. So hopefully it'll be a better height.......I've taken my boots to the local cobbler and put another sole on them too. ;0)
Old 06-07-14, 06:10 PM   #7
zxmark9r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollies41 View Post
I won't have to be restricted, and I managed to wangle the dealer to lower the bike for me and alter the angle of the handlebars to make it a shorter reach for me. So hopefully it'll be a better height.......I've taken my boots to the local cobbler and put another sole on them too. ;0)
I see you are well ahead of the game
Old 07-07-14, 08:26 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

aaahhh the joys of being short...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-14, 12:36 PM   #9
jambo
Mega Poster

Welcome
Ask for a list of things the dealer has done to lower the bike, and if they have changed any components, see if you can get a doggie bag with the old parts in. As is the way in life, being north of 6ft I've ridden a few lowered SVs for one reason or another. Some were done well, some with a little less care.

Generally if you're lowering the rear geometry you should see if you can lower the front end too to keep things roughly in line. I rode an SV some years back with longer linkages in the back to lower it, all the preload wound off the rear shock and that was it. You could ride it, but it felt rather strange and didn't like corners.

Jambo
Old 09-07-14, 12:48 PM   #10
SvNewbie

Haha, I've now got rather funny images of Jambo riding a mini-moto size SV.