SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-06-05, 07:11 PM   #1
KrZ

Default Help... now with images (56k warning)

decided to wash me bike after a weekend of riding...
why are me tyre rubber all over my bike, never had that in winter, i can even peel some off like a piece of latex. now some of them are well settled under seat even though i had rear hugger. on the lower fairing, its the same story, and more so on the engine.. the pattern they got splatted on my bodywork and reg plate seems that they were like liquid when they were splatted on, and they are a bugger to get off...
can anyone tell me:
- is that actually me tyre rubber or just road tar?
- and why do you not get them in winter?
- and what's the best way of getting them off?
- if i leave them on the bike, would they provide protection in winter?
many thanks in advance...
Old 06-06-05, 07:30 PM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Doesn't sound like tyre rubber???!!!!!

Could be tar. The best way to get it off is good ole trusty WD40.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 07:47 PM   #3
OF.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs

Could be chain lube
Car accessory shops sell tar spot remover which works well also
Old 06-06-05, 08:16 PM   #4
Vtwinlover

You haven't left your throttle open with the front brake on while wering ear plugs and tinted visor, at any traffic lights recently have you

Sounds more like Burnout symptoms to me

Sensible answer Cant see there being anyway it can be rubber unless you have been going hell for leather on super sticky's or have a hugger that is rubbing on the tyre even then i would expect the hugger to melt from the friction before the rubber.

Old 06-06-05, 10:39 PM   #5
KrZ

i will take a pic of what's left on my front fairing, and i def not have done any burn out as of yet
used wd40 and usually tar would kinda melt, but it didn't... it feels like rubber when i peel it off (a bit like rubber gloves). it stetches and then goes back to its original shape...
Old 06-06-05, 11:11 PM   #6
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs

Could be chain lube
Car accessory shops sell tar spot remover which works well also
thats what i recon.

chain wax, it goes thick and rubbery if not cleaned after a while (which is why i hate wax)
Old 06-06-05, 11:49 PM   #7
KrZ

got some pics here now..

this is what's covered at the front on the engine...

This is what's splatted on the bottom of lower fairing

This is what it looks like under the seat, i've scrubed out the right hand side.. but as you can see, left hand side is pretty difficult to get rid of..

This is what's left on the back of the reg plate, i pulled a piece outa bit so you guys can see.

And the texture of it is exactly the same as those bits left from the tyre manufacture.

if it is my rubber, then it must have melted when it got splashed all over the place, which I can't imagine how that would happen.

if it is road tar.. well, i have never seen that many in me life.

and it can't be the chain lub because it can't reach to the front fairing and engine case.

the last time i washed my bike 2 month ago, but i didn't ride for a month due to me fractured finger.. so this can only be the result of my last month ride which is on tarmac 100% of the time, and i def didn't do burn out..

Any suggestions?
Old 07-06-05, 12:16 AM   #8
hall13uk

looks like overbanding tar fella. the stuff the highway maintance use to join differrent sections of road surface. imho.
Old 07-06-05, 12:20 AM   #9
hall13uk

now i think about it, it looks very much like luquid latex. if it peels of really easy i would say it behaves just like liquid latex too. but why would that be on the road . unless somebody has just dumped it a pot of it there weird .
Old 07-06-05, 02:06 AM   #10
KrZ

just been spending couple of hours peeling the difficult part off... i don't want that to be on the engine for too long.. the ones on the exhaust have already gone solid. come to think of, i did went through a small patch of road work couple of days ago... that could be it. but how can they open the road if it wasn't dried? that still didn't explain why it feels like latex though...