SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-09-20, 11:00 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Guess the national lockdown date...

...my first choice would have been October 1st but that's a Thursday, so my choice is now October 5th, a Monday.

It takes about 2 weeks for the government to realise there's a problem and the warnings have started that they don't want a lockdown but...
We are due another U turn anyway.
Old 20-09-20, 11:21 AM   #2
Kenzie

Default Re: Guess the national lockdown date...

It will cripple this country if they do it again.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-20, 12:09 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

I would agree with Oct 5th. But it won't be called a lockdown, it'll be a 'circuit break' or some other bullsh1t euphemism. Just like an 'Australia-style deal' has become the new euphemism for a no-deal Brexit.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-20, 12:16 PM   #4
Kenzie

They need to continue with the local lockdowns rather than national. But people don't follow the rules so I guess it's inevitable.
Old 20-09-20, 01:44 PM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
But people don't follow the rules so I guess it's inevitable.
I cannot believe that this is legal under current rules:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...t-b503028.html

(tldr: 120+ people meet up for a stag hunt on Exmoor)
Old 20-09-20, 01:55 PM   #6
Kenzie

I suppose they could argue sport/outdoor activity rather than a social gathering. Still very wrong though, no masks or distancing. I'm starting to feel like all we have suffered through to get it under control over the last six months seems to be coming to naught. I mean deaths aren't as bad as they were, but infections are climbing to where they were. Guess we didn't learn anything.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kenzie; 20-09-20 at 01:59 PM.
Old 20-09-20, 03:27 PM   #7
Ruffy

Is it just me or are have the stories about NHS being/becoming overwhelmed noticeably absent?

I think it's an illusion that this virus can be contained or controlled: The only thing I'm sure about is that it will propogate eventually so we just need to be able to deal with those who will be seriously affected (a small minority). So why aren't we trying to get on with it as quickly as possible?

Lockdown is overkill whilst there is adequate treatment capacity. Obsession about Covid-19 is also disproportionate when you consider the downsides for other illnesses e.g. cancer deaths are reportedly significantly higher.

Why is there no longer a clearly visible presentation of the forecast projection for when we will hit breaking point? What's the heathcare system status? Are we going to need all those new hospital facilities and equipment that were put together in March/April?

Frankly I've had enough of the weakly justified restrictions on my discretionary life choices (i.e. fun) whilst there is no concession on the systematic work chores demanded of us. Mentally, I'm already imprisoned and lockdown is already in place.

Maybe I'd feel different if I'd had the summer off on furlough instead of dealing with an increase in workload (WFH instead of office/site base) managing the constant monitoring demands, adjustments to plans, risk mitigation updates and re-forecasting that the unpredicatability of the situation brings. In a project delivery world it's taken contingency activity to a whole new level but the truth is it's all built on guesswork really!

Maybe I'd feel different if my two sons' jobs had been properly protected by the system, instead of them being lost with low prospects of replacement, leaving my sons to transfer to the inadequacies of the Universal Credit system, subsidised by my available parental support (also inadequate).

In the beginning, most of the management proposals made sense to me. There appeared to be some clear science involved and communicated, so I was willing to accept them. Now it just feels like fear-based political manipulation, protecting a system biased to the elite and I'm becoming more dismissive and rebellious as a result. I'm much more cynical and I imagine there are many others like me.

{/rant off}
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-20, 04:08 PM   #8
DJ123
Mega Poster

If they have another national lock down, you may as well sack everyone in the Hospitality sector now.

What's creating the spike in infections is people getting lax about the rules; social distancing, number of people indoors, gatherings etc. People have had enough time to learn about the rules and understand them, now is the time to enforce them - that might then prevent these idiots breaking/flouting the rules from spoiling it for those who follow them.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-20, 04:13 PM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

The big problem with the current strategy is that it relies on a vaccine coming along to end it, otherwise it'll just be an ongoing cycle for ever.

There is an alternative strategy being mooted which basically goes that you put huge effort into protecting the vulnerable, and we know pretty well who they are now from the last 9 months' experience, and then you let it go free among the rest of the population. A couple of months and it should be more or less done with. There is rational reasoning to the theory, but of course it'll not happen because no politician would dare go against the perceived wisdom even if it did make logical sense (just like control of illegal drugs by taking it under state control).

Lockdown (or whatever euphemism you wish to call it) also reinforces the power taken under emergency measures and maintains state domination of the great unwashed, which of course is what some players really want.
Reminds me of a saying, "no-one is given power, they take it".
Old 20-09-20, 05:10 PM   #10
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Please no more...

THREE
WORD
SLOGANS

Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote