SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-05-09, 01:06 AM   #1
2whelltraveler

Default Dead 02 SVS

Need some help on this one. On a 200 mile road trip, bike ran great at first. Stopped mid-way for some lunch, came back out and the bike was hesitant to start but did. I likened it to the hot day killing the battery a bit and pushed on. About 40 miles later, the bike just stopped running (I was doing 75 at the time). No backfires, no pops... just rolled to a quiet stop.

After some investigation I found the wires to the light assembly that come through the renegade aftermarket undertray had the insulation scraped off and they were touching. It smelled strange under the seat... and I could hear the battery gurgling.

Turns out whatever the short killed, in turn killed the battery completely. It was barely a year old. I have confirmed that the bike is not producing spark but will turn over and gas is hitting the cylinders just fine.

Anyone have any ideas as to what component may have "burned up" from this short and how to test it? All the fuses are good.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 06-05-09, 02:10 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dead 02 SVS

I'm presuming here,but given the use of the word gas and time of your post you're from across the pond ? ( might be an idea to put your location in your profile).

Greetings.

back to basics here I'm afraid, if as you say the engine turns over on the button at least the starter solonoid and relay are working, but no spark will require a test of the coil feed wires from the ecu to both the front and rear coils ( are both non sparking ?, check also where the loom goes around the rear subframe as it's a known issue), you may well find the side nearest the frame beared as well ( lift it away from the frame to see properly), if you meter the wires out and they appear to be both good, but still no feed, then you'll need to either borrow another ECU to test or buy a new one.

if you have feedto the coils but still no spark then it's either coils/ht leads or plug caps ( but both going at once is unusual).

I'd check the other circuits to be sure and also the headstock loom as this to is a known issue, the manual also specs out a reg/rec test, this would also be wise if as you say the battery has been boiled.

HTH

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 06-05-09 at 02:14 AM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 01:14 AM   #3
2whelltraveler

OK, I just got some time to look into this again... so I found a part that looks suspect, but I can not find any documentation on what it is. If you look at the pics, it looks like the rubbery covering has melted over the top of a couple capacitors and heat sinks. This is the first electrical component in line with the short from the lights at back of the bike.

Anyone know what it's called, part # to use for replacement or how to test it?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Old 12-05-09, 01:22 AM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Thats the black box for the ignition. Sometimes referred to as a CDI.
Old 12-05-09, 01:25 AM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whelltraveler View Post
OK, I just got some time to look into this again... so I found a part that looks suspect, but I can not find any documentation on what it is. If you look at the pics, it looks like the rubbery covering has melted over the top of a couple capacitors and heat sinks. This is the first electrical component in line with the short from the lights at back of the bike.

Anyone know what it's called, part # to use for replacement or how to test it?

the part you show in the pics is part number 32900-20F10 and called the "IGNITER ASSY" or known as the ecu.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote