SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

View Poll Results: How should I service my bike?
Send it to Suzuki and hand over a small fortune 5 62.50%
Do it yourself - its really easy and I will help you 0 0%
Do it yourself - but I cant be bothered to help you 1 12.50%
Bah - the ASM option 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-12-07, 09:51 AM   #1
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Default 1st Proper Service

Okay so it it time to do my first proper service on the bike (4800 miles) and I am scratching my head to work out what to do. Should I bite the bullet and take it in to Suzuki and get ripped off or sit out in the freezing cold whilst I attempt to service the bike myself?

Having not ever serviced a bike before (I have done the car a couple of times before) I am not entirely confident that I will do it right - is anyone out there keen to help me out and show me how to do it?

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-07, 09:53 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: 1st Proper Service

Take it to a non suzuki dealer, make sure they use suzuki parts and you will keep your warranty.

will be alot cheaper.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-07, 10:06 AM   #3
Welsh_Wizard

I'd get it done officially too even if its just for the stamp in the book. Will look a whole let better when you come to sell it on..
Old 18-12-07, 10:07 AM   #4
SV650Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
Okay so it it time to do my first proper service on the bike (4800 miles) and I am scratching my head to work out what to do. Should I bite the bullet and take it in to Suzuki and get ripped off or sit out in the freezing cold whilst I attempt to service the bike myself?

Having not ever serviced a bike before (I have done the car a couple of times before) I am not entirely confident that I will do it right - is anyone out there keen to help me out and show me how to do it?
Take it to a proper dealer and if your unsure about being ripped off (most wont you know) ask them to list down exactly what will be done on the service. I do this for customers that are unsure.

Its worthwhile as ideally you should get the TPS checked and throttle bodies balanced if its over "time" on the service (servicing is done on miles or time ie first is done at 600 or 2mths whichever is sooner for example).

If your not sure it could be an expensive excersise. Just recently I had a young student in who's friends told him it was easy. He stripped the sump plug. I felt very sorry for him..he now has to buy a new engine or get it repaired. All to save £200.
Old 18-12-07, 10:08 AM   #5
KnightRider
Mega Poster

I heard somewhere that if you buy genuine Suzuki parts then the dealer will stamp the book for you. Is that not right?

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
Old 18-12-07, 10:11 AM   #6
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer View Post
Its worthwhile as ideally you should get the TPS checked and throttle bodies balanced if its over "time" on the service (servicing is done on miles or time ie first is done at 600 or 2mths whichever is sooner for example).
I'm on 4,400 miles now and the 1st service was in June. I guess that if I get it to the dealer asap then I will be okay.

CBR600RR7

Old 18-12-07, 10:27 AM   #7
SV650Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
I heard somewhere that if you buy genuine Suzuki parts then the dealer will stamp the book for you. Is that not right?
No!. Well some may but its not the done thing.

You should be fine with regards to the time element on the service period. The 2nd service is either 4k or 12mths whichever comes sooner. Unless you go well over a year or over say 5-6k then it shouldnt be an issue with regards to warranty.

Most dealers wont rip you off. Ok there are some bad ones out there, but there are equally as many bad non franchised dealers. You should be able to get a feel for what they are like when you go into the shop and speak with them. Service reception should be willing to list down what will be done or needs doing. Most places will also allow you to make an appointment to wait whilst its being done. Specify this though when booking.

When you collect the bike afterwards, prior to riding off give it a good check over.

You do hear alot of horror stories, but people are often too quick to shame and too slow to praise.
Old 18-12-07, 10:33 AM   #8
StreetHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Wizard View Post
I'd get it done officially too even if its just for the stamp in the book. Will look a whole let better when you come to sell it on..
Ditto..

Jon, if your gonna sell it on soon then a dealer stamp in the book will help you get what you want for it. When it's out of warranty is when I would think about servicing myself.
Old 18-12-07, 10:44 AM   #9
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Okay - thread over, I have booked it in for Friday.

CBR600RR7

Old 18-12-07, 02:00 PM   #10
ogden
Mega Poster

Do the sensible thing, pop it over to George Whites in Slough and get it done properly.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote