SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-06-08, 09:11 AM   #1
sv_rider1990

Default Time for new Brake Pads - Which are the "best"?

Just a quick one..... My pads have had it and time for a new set just the front atm... Which would be the choice to go for to a budget of say £25 a pair only for the front but both left and right.

Thanks

Ash
Old 17-06-08, 10:17 AM   #2
sv650k4

Default Re: Time for new Brake Pads - Which are the "best"?

i like the EBC HH pads. tho ther is loads of others armstrong are also fairly good aswell and cheap.
Old 17-06-08, 10:29 AM   #3
Raf

Question of preference. OEM pads are perfectly adequate for the 650, HH do feel like they have a better initial bite but they eat your disc brakes a lot.
Old 17-06-08, 10:41 AM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Nothing wrong with the OEM's
Old 17-06-08, 10:43 AM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf View Post
HH do feel like they have a better initial bite but they eat your disc brakes a lot.
They only wear discs through discs a little more than other brands, many accounts of 'eating through' discs was down to poor discs not pad choice.

As said before it is a personal preference with pads, like tyres. I personally prefer EBC HH pads, think of it this way if they 'eat' through discs then surely that means they are causing more friction which is how brakes work! Just to confirm though, the wear of discs is not excessive and not as much as some claim!
Old 17-06-08, 10:50 AM   #6
21QUEST
Mega Poster

My preference is OE pads(for almost all bikes I've had) but they are pricey. I tend to use Nissin semi-sintered if available now.

Perhaps I'm just a bit odd lol but never seem to have as much a problem with braking on bikes(on the road)....even with 15 year old rubber hoses and non-sintered pads

I wouldn't put any EBC product on my Lawn mower if I could help it.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-08, 10:55 AM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

I always use EBC HH whenever I replace pads these days. However, on the SV, I found them a little vague. They were certainly more efficient than the OEM. However, they seemed to lack the bite I was used to.

Perhaps that is down to the 2 piston design of the SV? I have them on my little gsxr and they far outbrake the OEM pad
Old 17-06-08, 01:51 PM   #8
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Afternoon all.

As I've said many times before, this reputation EBC HH pads have of 'eating' discs is an utter fallacy. ANY pad compound that has a higher friction rating than standard will do the same. BUt only if you use the extra braking they give you all of the time.

There are a lot of good pads available these days such as Carbon Lorraine etc. Even Armstrong have come a long way since they were introduced, (they were c rap then).

It's worth mentioning that a lot of claims to excessive disc wear after new pads have been fitted, are down to deficiencies in the caliper & not in the pads themselves. In the case of the SV front calipers this is usually the caliper not sliding properly on it's mounts.

Cheers
Old 17-06-08, 02:14 PM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner Man View Post
this reputation EBC HH pads have of 'eating' discs is an utter fallacy. ANY pad compound that has a higher friction rating than standard will do the same. BUt only if you use the extra braking they give you all of the time.
Thank you Spanner Man, been waiting for you to confirm the so called 'eat disc' rubbish.
Old 17-06-08, 02:17 PM   #10
Grinch

So make sure you give the brakes a little clean and greese the caliper sliders when you have them off.