SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-15, 08:20 PM   #1
Alexander94

Default "Viper Braking" brand brake pads?

Has anyone tried Viper brake pads?

I've been chasing my tail looking for new brake pads and there's been loads of positive and negative feedback about EBC so I want to try some other brands.

I came across Viper that retail at £20-£25 per caliper but everywhere is selling them for around £10 per caliper.

To begin with I wasn't too bothered about braking power but now I am, I want something with good bite, little to no fade and that will last more than a couple of thousand miles.

My main contenders now are Viper sintered and SBS sintered.
Old 17-08-15, 08:28 PM   #2
Runako

Default Re: "Viper Braking" brand brake pads?

Dude, trust me when I say that if you ride the bike as it's meant to, any decent brakes will do. The SV has such good engine braking (some don't like it) that you should rarely need to get on the brakes hard.

So for the times when you do need to get on it, there should be more than enough to call on.

I'm all for trying something new but the most benefit will be for those who use their brakes more. For example, you can by Pilot Power 4 Tyres for the road because they have amazing grip, but if you do more motorway/commuting then it's by far better to get the original Powers as they're pretty good too but will last a lot longer and are cheaper to buy.

So buy something appropriate for your use if cost is a concern. Otherwise buy both the leading brand and the new brand and just test them both (and tell us about the results) to find out which works best
Old 17-08-15, 09:00 PM   #3
Alexander94

Thanks very much for that! I think that's the kind of thing I needed, not brand bashing :P

I've started doing some faster riding on twisty roads, hence wanting better stopping power with less fade.

I did consider getting a few different brands and types just to work out what works for me. I think I'll try cheaper ones to begin with then go for some bigger brands when I have the money.

Thanks again mate (Y)
Old 18-08-15, 04:16 PM   #4
Alexander94

I've decided to buy a set of Viper pads for the rear and I have some for the front in my watch list in case I like them. I'll see how I get on with them and save up for some different pads in the mean time to replace them if I don't
Old 18-08-15, 05:00 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

brake fade due to pads is very very rare for on road riding these days. if you suffer from brake fade then its a sure bet that something else is wrong with your braking system rather than the pads. yes pads can become old, brittle and glaze up which will cause fade but otherwise its pretty much a thing of the past. all round safe bets for pads are EBC HH, SBS HH, DP HH all others are a gamble. some people swear by kyoto or goldfren.

if you cant afford the top of the line pads then slow your riding down or plan more ahead to compensate. i always find it funny when people complain about their brakes on modern bikes.

one thing to remember is never ever believe the blurb on websites and glossy magazines as they are ALL trying to do one thing and that is empty your wallet.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-15, 07:16 PM   #6
Alexander94

I've just done a full brake rebuild with new seals (every single tiny orifice of the calipers was cleaned), braided lines, new fluid and the discs are in good condition but after about 50 miles of steady riding (50 or so mph and town riding) I opened it up for a bit of fun and after about 5 miles the brakes felt half as effective as they did before. That feels like heat fade.

I don't know where the pads came from or how old they are or what type they are, the bases are blue so I don't think they're original