SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-05-11, 05:30 PM   #201
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: TPS Adjustment Step-by-Step Pictorial Guide

It isn't a 'mod' - it's an adjustment that's in the scheduled maintenance.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 05:48 PM   #202
maxinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
It isn't a 'mod' - it's an adjustment that's in the scheduled maintenance.
Interesting. Would you happen to know what rpm does Suzuki recommend and why is it setup differently?
Old 10-05-11, 05:57 PM   #203
Bibio
Mega Poster

suzuki as far as i'm led to believe use a multimeter or some other electronic device and near enough is good enough for suzuki. they are set at the factory and are probably within spec there but as you know once the bike is run in the tolerances have altered as everything 'beds in'.

we on the other hand are fanatics and strive to make things better and thanks to some genius who worked out how to do it we can all do it ourselves.

if i remember the adjustment is to do with keeping the injector squirting longer and in doing so smooths the jerkiness out in the lower rev range.

it works, but better for some than others.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 10:47 PM   #204
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinc View Post
Interesting. Would you happen to know what rpm does Suzuki recommend and why is it setup differently?
It isn't setup differently, all the info on it it's all here in this thread.

Sadly there's also a stunning amount of tosh too.

TPS setting doesn't decide when to 'put more fuel in' at idle it has its greatest effect on ignition timing. Fuelling requirements are decided by a whole lot more than throttle position.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 07:25 PM   #205
maxinc

All right, so I had a play with it, and although I wasn't really convinced with the dash indicator, it felt really different during a couple of slow and tight roundabouts. What initially felt like a lack of power and asking for clutch assistance, it is now very comfortable indeed.

I wasn't convinced initially because, despite turning the TPS CCW significantly, the dash only seem to react at the extremes. Either 3000rpm +/- 200rpm or at about 1500 which was very close to idle and changed with the slightest touch of the throttle. I left it eventually at about 2900rpm, about 2mm from the initial position. The effect on the road is significant indeed. Maybe I'll have another go on the next occasion.

Oh, and I used an insulated paper clip "tool" instead of the flexible wire.
Old 11-05-11, 08:58 PM   #206
Bibio
Mega Poster

i set mine to 1400. as long as its not on idle then i think its fine.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-11, 02:43 AM   #207
Dopelgaenger

First off.. the original post should be edited to not say "I think it's counter clockwise". It should say it IS COUNTERCLOCKWISE.

Secondly as others have said, a 1/4 inch driver with a security T25 bit will avoid all cheese, no extra pair of hands is needed. Don't try and do this with a screwdriver and the torx bit unless you already have replacement bolts.

To avoid the line in front of the zeros going back up to 3000 rpm when tightening the screws up, tighten the bottom screw back up first, tightening the top screw first tends to push it back the way it came from and offset all your infuriatingly hard work. Once the bottom one is tight you can tighten the top one without it counteracting you.

After riding, I can only say OH HELL YEAH. It makes leaving a stop so much smoother

Last edited by Dopelgaenger; 24-09-11 at 02:47 AM.
Old 24-09-11, 11:15 PM   #208
tonyblaze

Thanks greatly for this outstanding topic. I did my SV650S today. Took a bit longer than 20 minutes but I got it done without drama. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I'm a new rider and the on/off throttle response was causing me major stress, very twitchy at the worst times. I took the bike out after the mod and it's like a completely different bike. Very smooth at low RPM's, rolling off the throttle no longer has me gripping the bars and it might be just in my mind but it definitely feels like it has more power down low. Mine was originally set at 3600. With a lot of fiddling I got it set around 1800 at which point I decided to leave well enough alone because one of the screws was geting squirrelly. I'll be swapping those out for allen head screws very soon. Thanks again!
Old 29-09-11, 03:21 AM   #209
dxaxrxc

I have tried this with a neighbor for an hour or more. No luck. I got it down to 2800. I have an 07 which means the idle adjusts itself. With that being said the line starts in the middle but too much adjusting and the line jumps to the top. So we used that as a starting point and would tap it ever so slightly till the line moved back to the middle and we would test it. We must have tried that 20 times and the best we could do was 2800. Any help would be very welcome.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
Old 29-09-11, 03:35 PM   #210
lx_online

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxaxrxc View Post
I have tried this with a neighbor for an hour or more. No luck. I got it down to 2800. I have an 07 which means the idle adjusts itself. With that being said the line starts in the middle but too much adjusting and the line jumps to the top. So we used that as a starting point and would tap it ever so slightly till the line moved back to the middle and we would test it. We must have tried that 20 times and the best we could do was 2800. Any help would be very welcome.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
I had to adjust both the idle screw and the TPS sensor to get it lower...were you just making adjustments using the TPS?