SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2007 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2007 SV650.org's bigger & better annual rideout.

Old 27-06-07, 02:25 PM   #1
melody

Default I might be chickening out....

.....and coming up in the car.

Just been out on the bike a wee while ago and got caught in a fairly light shower. Less than five minutes away from my house, going round a roundabout, lost control of the bike and wobbled about like a big girl's blouse. Managed to regain control eventually (felt like forever), thankfully without yanking on the front brake!

I've been round this roundabout loads of times without incident and I'm always pretty slow going round roundabouts. So I'm guessing it could be one of three things

oil spill on the road
oily patch on my tyres from yesterdays service
wet road

Shook me up a bit. Not enough to pack in biking, but enough to reconsider riding on wet roads (if that was the cause)

Melody
Old 27-06-07, 02:32 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: I might be chickening out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody View Post

Just been out on the bike a wee while ago and got caught in a fairly light shower. Less than five minutes away from my house, going round a roundabout, lost control of the bike and wobbled about like a big girl's blouse. Managed to regain control eventually (felt like forever), thankfully without yanking on the front brake!

I've been round this roundabout loads of times without incident and I'm always pretty slow going round roundabouts. So I'm guessing it could be one of three things

oil spill on the road
wet road

Shook me up a bit. Not enough to pack in biking, but enough to reconsider riding on wet roads (if that was the cause)

Melody
Know how you are feeling, have had similar feelings about similar things.

However I think that bringing your bike is the best way to rebuild that confidence.

After my broken collarbone was mended, I was VERY wary of the rain, until one night, on the way back home from the SELKENT meet up I was stuck in it, had no choice but to ride.

So I did, and started realising it wasnt at all bad, so much so that I ended up enjoying the ride so much that I ended up going further north than I needed to so that I could extend my ride.

Best thing to do is get back out on the horse.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-07, 02:36 PM   #3
Baph

I just replied to your PM with sentiments along the lines of:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
However I think that bringing your bike is the best way to rebuild that confidence.
As I said in PM, I have no objection to sitting right at the back of the ride & staying with anyone that wants to rebuild their confidence, or helping acheive that in any way I can. I'm far from perfect, but I can run interference to stop other people getting too close etc.

End of the day, do what makes you comfortable, confidence will come with time.

Your moment was probably down to the shower bringing oil/desiel up to the surface on the roundabout, quite a common event.
Old 27-06-07, 03:31 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

don't you dare bring the car lady. For one when I come out to meet you I don't know what car to look for, they all look the same. and two have you checked your tyre pressure?? i always get a bit of a wobble on cause i forget to check it regular, until i get to the stage of nearly wobbling off it don't occur to me. And three theres too many cars on the road anyhow..so ner..take yourself to one side and give yourself a talking to. XX

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-07, 03:35 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Oh dear, what have i started

Do what you feel you want to do, and dont be pressured into anything. Its not them, or us that have feel scared when riding. Yes, its the best thing to do, but only if it feels right. Dont bow to peer pressure.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-07, 03:37 PM   #6
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody View Post

oil spill on the road
wet road

Melody
Positive vibes coming your way. We all have wobbles and get over it. Look on the bright side, you wobbled, you mastered it, you got home safe! Another little lesson learned and you are now a better rider for it.

I'm happy to be moral support to any rider feeling nervous (and that includes me!)
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Last edited by Luckypants; 27-06-07 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Read Viney's post
Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-07, 04:05 PM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

just spoken to melody, had a good chat and she really reminds me...of me. Have compared dizzy moments and had a bit of a chuckle, so hopefullly her nerves have been calmed with the fact that she's normal and not the only one with the wobbles, besides, she's coming up with me and by the time she gets up there she'll notice she's better at it than she thought......cause i'm just as bad!!! Warning another mad bird on a yellow curvey coming your way

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-07, 04:09 PM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
just spoken to melody, had a good chat and she really reminds me...of me. Have compared dizzy moments and had a bit of a chuckle, so hopefullly her nerves have been calmed with the fact that she's normal and not the only one with the wobbles, besides, she's coming up with me and by the time she gets up there she'll notice she's better at it than she thought......cause i'm just as bad!!! Warning another mad bird on a yellow curvey coming your way
Good news...

.... except for the yellow comment...
Old 27-06-07, 04:18 PM   #9
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Good news...

Amazing fact Baph, one large can of Halfords Paint will cover half an SV.....

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-07, 05:34 PM   #10
carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Good news...

Totally agree with Baph here, except for the yellow coment . Everyone seems to be coming in cars now Ok, so riding in the rain isn't for everyone but I really don't care how much it rains, for me its gotta be better than sitting in the car all weekend.

I wonder if www.toyota-avensis-estate.org has anyone coming on bikes to their AE07 because its sunny?