SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 26-02-06, 07:24 AM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Best fish & Chips

Gnan posted this in the numbers on his way back thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguided gnan
how about fish and chip shops that actually serve fish and chips worthy of the name, they're rubbish down there... you can't beat dripping fried chips.. there's a cracking place in skipton that i went to many a year ago, best ever!

Now I being a Lancastrian could not possibly allow the honour of holding the title "Best Ever" to go to a bunch of tykes. Don't get me wrong, the make pretty good growlers there. But I am biased on that as the Skipton pie man is my cousin.

I have eaten Skipton Fish and Chips. (Busy Lizzies) and also something called a "Whale of haddock" (Thanks El Boc) in a boozer just outside Skipton.

But my vote for best fish and chips is the Cottage at Marton near Blackpool.

Any other suggestions
Old 26-02-06, 09:31 AM   #2
Anonymous

Default Re: Best fish & Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky

Quote:
Originally Posted by not completely misguided gnan
how about fish and chip shops that actually serve fish and chips worthy of the name, they're rubbish down there... you can't beat dripping fried chips.. there's a cracking place in skipton that i went to many a year ago, best ever!
I have eaten Skipton Fish and Chips. (Busy Lizzies) ...but my vote for best fish and chips is the Cottage at Marton near Blackpool.

Any other suggestions
Gnan is spot on about the disgusting stuff they serve dahn sarrf....particularly that cultural nightmare "The Chinese Chippy". Uggghhh.

I'm not into Cottaging (I'll leave that to certain others on the site) so haven't tried Tim's recommendation - but I'll take his word. However, I've had fantastic F&C at Bryan's in Headingley.

And Bizzie Lizzie's certainly ain't the best Chippie in Skipton....but if I tell you which one is, I'd have to kill you.
Old 26-02-06, 10:40 AM   #3
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguided gnan
. But I am biased on that as the Skipton pie man is my cousin.

I think I've found a photo of your Famous Cousin...

The Skipton Pie Man

taken from the http://ilikepies.com/ such a classic website, one of which I'm sure El Boc is a proud benifactor.
Old 26-02-06, 11:35 AM   #4
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Boccadillo
Gnan is spot on about the disgusting stuff they serve dahn sarrf....particularly that cultural nightmare "The Chinese Chippy". Uggghhh.
There is, up the road from my Mother in Law, a fantastic chippy in the heart of Keant (wel Rochester) which was taken over by a Chinese family and to their credit, kept it going without changing the food.

Cod (yes proper pure white flakey cod) in a dry crispy batter, not dripping with oil or fat Chips that were neither over or under cooked, that tasted fantastic with salt and a little vinigar.

No mushy peas though... (good god, that stuff looks like snot with lumps)

So, there may not be as many decent chippies down South, but there are some good ones if you can find them.

The family that owns the chippy also own the Chinese take away next door, which is bloody good as well.

Old 26-02-06, 03:34 PM   #5
wyrdness

There's a few decent chippies down South, though they're far too rare.

Two Brothers here in Finchley has won a lot of awards, though I think that it can be a bit variable in quality. However, the last chips I bought from there were fantastic.

I had some of the best chips ever from a chippy in Potters Bar. Can't remember the name and only went there once.

There's a damn good place in Covent Garden - The Rock & Sole Plaice - it's quite well known and worth visiting.

In the Far North, the Magpie Cafe in Whitby is one of the best fish'n'chips restaurants in the country.

Further afield, McDonaugh's in Galway is another outstanding fish'n'chip restaurant. No trip to Ireland is complete without a meal there.

Any oother recommendations?
Old 27-02-06, 11:52 AM   #6
PoRk ChOp

Marshalls, Front Street, Tynemouth. Enough Said.
Old 27-02-06, 01:25 PM   #7
hall13uk

u have to go to the coast for real fish & chips
Old 27-02-06, 03:00 PM   #8
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall13uk
u have to go to the coast for real fish & chips
Unless you go to Matlock Bath, but then that's just like the seaside, but without the sea

Old 27-02-06, 03:02 PM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

My local chippy won UK's Best chippy 4 years in a row. Hasnt won since 2001, but they are always in the top 3
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-06, 03:37 PM   #10
stoney

Best F&Cs are from the little back street one in Robin Hood's Bay - TDF!