SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-05-09, 01:47 PM   #1
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default some little tw*t has keyed the missus' car at work - legal advice plz

Vicky has just rang me to say she's going to be late home from work. A year 9 kid (13/14 years old) has vandalised 3-4 cars quite badly - vic's car (which she's only had for about 2 months) has been scratched from front to back all down the drivers side. The police are attending and they've got the kid as luckily there's cctv. Apparently, said kid is sat in a room with a great big smile on his face/laughing, even with police officers and teaching staff in there.

Because vic is working as a teaching assistant, she's not part of a union or anything so she's been told she'll either have to pay for the damage to be fixed herself, or claim on her insurance - and there's the good old "You park here at your own risk" sign in the carpark...

first, is this true? and second, if it is true, why the f8ck should she have to pay for damage which was intentionally caused by some little scumbag who she's never had any dealings with.

Vic detests her job (i cant put into words how depressed she's been over the past 8 months with the only thing going, her pgce course which starts in september... we've been counting down the number of working days she has left) and has just returned after 10 days off being ill with a bad chest infection & stress. She was contemplating not going back but I encouraged her and said it would only make her more depressed if she sat at home, so she pulled her self together and got stuck in there, only for 4 days of digs abuse from staff AND kids. Vic earns very little for the amount of shiite she has to put up with, and this car she got 2 months ago is the only little bit of pride & joy she's treated herself to in a very long time. Now some little **** has gone and done this...

also, vic's car insurance is up for renewal in 3 days - she was planning to switch to directline who's quote was around £200 compared with her current insurer (tesco) of £550. If she does have to claim, there's gonna be alsorts of grief over which insurer's responsibility it is, and she'll lose her NCB.

What's the standing with "criminal damage"? I'd have thought the law would say that when you've convicted of damaging another persons property to a criminal level, you'd be liable to put it right?

any advice on this would be greatly appreciated guys.

I'd be quite happy to find out where he lives and burn his house down... seems fair to me

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09, 01:52 PM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Re: some little tw*t has keyed the missus' car at work - legal advice plz

Sadly yes, if they do not hold responsibility for parking then they can brush their hands of it. Thats as much as i know. However, as its on school property and the damage was conducted by a pupil who should be in the teachers/schools care etc, i dont know.

Verna had her car keyed a while ago, mainly the drivers door, and about £250 to get it sprayed. You could always try one of the 'Chips away' type paint companies.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09, 01:52 PM   #3
Daimo

Default Re: some little tw*t has keyed the missus' car at work - legal advice plz

What about persuing a claim from the boys parents?

Why was the child not at school.

I certainly wouldn't lie down on this, and would have already given the little scroat a bloody hard belt round the head.
Old 14-05-09, 01:52 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Tie him to the back of the car and drag him off to his parents....see how he likes being scratched?

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09, 01:54 PM   #5
zsv650

criminal damage i'm sure the parents are liable for damages best check with a legal bod for confirmation though.
Old 14-05-09, 01:54 PM   #6
Stingo

I know nothing...but what about a 'private prosecution' thingy against the individual/his family?
Old 14-05-09, 01:56 PM   #7
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I'd try take the parentals to court.
If you lose/can't - kick the little ****'s head in.
Old 14-05-09, 01:57 PM   #8
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo View Post
What about persuing a claim from the boys parents?

Why was the child not at school.

I certainly wouldn't lie down on this, and would have already given the little scroat a bloody hard belt round the head.
+1. Not sure of the legality, but common sense dictates the parent/legal guardian(s) of the kid responsible should pay.
Old 14-05-09, 01:58 PM   #9
ThEGr33k

Bring back the cain... little bleeder wouldnt be laughing or smiling then!!!!
Old 14-05-09, 01:59 PM   #10
ophic
Mega Poster

There's no confusion over the insurance. The car was insured by Tesco at the time of the incident. Cut & dried.