SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-06-17, 09:00 AM   #41
Talking Heads

Default Re: Thinking of giving up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
No filthy primitive chain
Chains are fine, its having them out in the open which is the problem.
Belts out in the open are not immune from problems either.
Good luck finding a cheap replacement belt for a BMW 800, which you'll need to do every 25,000 miles or so.

Do you remember the TR-1...?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 09:01 AM   #42
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I don't want to knock anyone but anyone else noticed that most BMW motorcyclists rarely acknowledge a Nod or Wave when passing?
Old 08-06-17, 09:49 AM   #43
macamxthe1st

Friend with a HD had his belt ruined in under 1k miles by a tiny stone going between "sprocket" and belt, £450 if memory serves. As I said I hate chains but as with most things it's a compromise. I have improved things considerably for less than £20 with a "Loobman" kit, simple, cheap and very effective.

Geoff.

Don't knock these BMW guy's as they make me very happy and in honesty just a little smug. We get literally hundreds of the bloody things up here fully kitted up for their "Adventure" to the local cafe. Seriously I could buy a new SV every year and throw it in the skip after 12 months and still take less of a financial kicking than those lads do on their first years depreciation. But don't they look good eh !

Last edited by macamxthe1st; 08-06-17 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-06-17, 10:02 AM   #44
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I don't want to knock anyone but anyone else noticed that most BMW motorcyclists rarely acknowledge a Nod or Wave when passing?
I think BMW supply pills with their products that give people a German mentality - 'Deutschland uber alles' and all that, normal bikers are below their acknowledgement. I have noticed with BMW cars that most of them have faulty turn indicators - If I had paid that much for a car and they didn't work I would be ****ed off, but their owners don't seem to mind.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 10:35 AM   #45
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by macamxthe1st View Post
Geoff.

Don't knock these BMW guy's as they make me very happy and in honesty just a little smug. We get literally hundreds of the bloody things up here fully kitted up for their "Adventure" to the local cafe. Seriously I could buy a new SV every year and throw it in the skip after 12 months and still take less of a financial kicking than those lads do on their first years depreciation. But don't they look good eh !
I hear that!

Also I use my own special mix of High content Moly paste and Hypoid 80w90 gearbox oil on my chains.Same trick I used forty years ago on my old Norton.Slows sprocket and chain wear down big time.Not easy finding high content Moly but I got a small tub off a guy on Ebay.Expensive-ish but will last me years.Running my SV with a bit of Moly in as well.No Clutch slip,smooth as silk @17k+ now,

Sound clip here.Even smoother now it's had a few miles on it

https://app.box.com/s/tzkld9wa7inm7x6lemb8hwcko9jzbxwg

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 08-06-17 at 10:43 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 12:38 PM   #46
Bibio
Mega Poster

33k miles and counting on my chain, sprockets changed once. in the whole time the chain has moved 3 marks on the swingarm. thats the power of a scottoiler
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 03:40 PM   #47
ophic
Mega Poster

My chain seems to last longer than my forks at the moment.
Old 08-06-17, 06:14 PM   #48
bikerbaker

Think that the F800GT is the only belt drive BMW do at the mo (the GS and R are chain). I plan on keeping the bike until the warranty runs out and then maybe getting another so hopefully will not need to change the belt.

The only problem I have had in 7.000 miles is a blown dipped beam bulb. Great I thought, will replace it with a higher output item. It's a fiddly 10 minute job. Until, that is, the bulb clip comes adrift from it's crap nylon retainer. A known problem from the last 8 or so years. As nearest dealer is 30 or so miles away I did it myself. Removed seat, "tank", screen and all of the Tupperware so that the dash/lamp unit could be unbolted and a small washer put under a screw. Absolutely sh1te design. Rant over (but I have pics to remind me, also to complain to BMW).

Re BM and HD being lifestyle choices - Absolutely agree! I own a BMW but do not class myself as a BMW owner. Luckily the "R" riders do not acknowledge anything other than a boxer engined bike. The F is "one of those Rotax engined things". My Buell (also belt drive) is not a Harley either so it's looked down on by members of the Harley Owners Group (read as Harley Dealer Club). Even the Harley dealers disliked selling them and most couldn't wait to stop their involvement when HD pulled out.

I nod to all other bikers, even been known to acknowledge oncoming cars with one headlight out, whatever I am riding, especially the Honda C90 or, horror of horrors, Chinese clone Cub!

Anything with 2 wheels and a motor that makes you smile is OK by me. None more OK than the SV which has given me so much enjoyment, and will continue to.
bikerbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 06:13 AM   #49
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I do!

I also drive a massive BMW car and always move over to let bikes through when I'm on roads like the A1 going into London.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-17, 06:18 AM   #50
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbaker View Post
Think that the F800GT is the only belt drive BMW do at the mo (the GS and R are chain). I plan on keeping the bike until the warranty runs out and then maybe getting another so hopefully will not need to change the belt.

The only problem I have had in 7.000 miles is a blown dipped beam bulb. Great I thought, will replace it with a higher output item. It's a fiddly 10 minute job. Until, that is, the bulb clip comes adrift from it's crap nylon retainer. A known problem from the last 8 or so years. As nearest dealer is 30 or so miles away I did it myself. Removed seat, "tank", screen and all of the Tupperware so that the dash/lamp unit could be unbolted and a small washer put under a screw. Absolutely sh1te design. Rant over (but I have pics to remind me, also to complain to BMW).

Re BM and HD being lifestyle choices - Absolutely agree! I own a BMW but do not class myself as a BMW owner. Luckily the "R" riders do not acknowledge anything other than a boxer engined bike. The F is "one of those Rotax engined things". My Buell (also belt drive) is not a Harley either so it's looked down on by members of the Harley Owners Group (read as Harley Dealer Club). Even the Harley dealers disliked selling them and most couldn't wait to stop their involvement when HD pulled out.

I nod to all other bikers, even been known to acknowledge oncoming cars with one headlight out, whatever I am riding, especially the Honda C90 or, horror of horrors, Chinese clone Cub!

Anything with 2 wheels and a motor that makes you smile is OK by me. None more OK than the SV which has given me so much enjoyment, and will continue to.
Ha that thing about the bulb made me laugh. Mine went while I was near a dealer. The orger I was with berated me for asking the dealer to change the bulk and claimed I was being lazy not doing it myself. I pointed out that it's the most fiddly job and easy to bu99er up leading to great expense. If they make a mess of it they have to fix it. I paid £10 labour and went for a coffee.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk